cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 update failing, is WSUS offline a good route to take?

FIXED
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Windows 7 update failing, is WSUS offline a good route to take?

Yes (as best I know).  You don't have to be offline but I suspect you will get better results if you are.

Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Reed

An update.

WSUS Offline did start OK and but seemed stalled.......but interestingly after stopping it I noted WUP had some files showing, sort of like running WSUS Offline had unchocked something.

So reconnected the network cable and the WUP selected files downloaded a little while later and installed AOK Smiley

Now I recalled I hid some files in WUP so restored them but the then WUP 'getting updates' just stalled.  So a reboot later the files are there and like above just waiting for WUP to say they are downloaded and awaiting installation.

Hmmmmm! so is my problem a network connection one for WUP as the files list (so far) only appears if I disconnect the network cable.  But the Internet connection is not affected in any other way???

All seems kind of odd and was it WSUS Offline that indeed triggered this almost cure?

PS none of the above explains why the "installed updates list" is now empty?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@ReedRichards wrote:

WSUS Offline invokes the same Windows Update service (wuauserv) and is liable to run into the same problem.  Therefore the first thing WSUS Offline tries to do (after updating Internet Explorer as necessary) is install the prerequisite updates.  ...  If WSUS Offline manages to install the necessary prerequisite updates then you don't need it any more because Windows Update will then function correctly.         

I'm quoting myself.  If WSUS Offline completes its first stage then you, who have very few updates you need to install, don't really need it beyond that.

Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Reed

I think I have come to the conclusion that I need to upgrade to W10.

A flakey update system is not the best to have, so no choice really..............though a complete wipe and re-install W7 would also 'work' but the time to re-install all the programs etc does not encourage me Sad

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

In principle it's too late to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 - but i suspect you can still do it if you take the right approach.

Windows Update may be a bit flaky on Windows 7 but it's a lot flaky on Windows Vista.

Routefinder
Grafter

Yes, it is possible to still get a 'free' upgrade but with terms that are quite specific!

IMO to do so would not be honourable because of the specificity of the offer, so though I can ill afford to buy it that is what I will have to do.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Routefinder Do you really NEED windows ? .... you could try a "live cd/dvd" version of Linux Mint 18 .  You download a .iso file, then burn that to a DVD  .... (or you can install it on a USB stick )... you can then "run" it and try it out,... see if your favourite windows progs will run on Linux.. ( most do through WINE )..

You will not be able to "save any work" onto the DVD.. but there is software to make a USB stick able to save your progs, settings etc.

Best thing about Linux is it is FREE to all to use and install...

Worst thing is, some of my fave windows progs do not work on it, and the alternative "similar" progs are not as good, entailing more workload to process to the same end product.

If it were not for that... I would swap completely. 

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I was not indicating you should do anything dishonest or dishonourable.  But I think if you first download a copy of Windows 10 and install it on your Windows 7 computer it may activate.  I last did this in September, which was over a month beyond the nominal deadline, and Windows 10 activated just as it would during the 'free' year.  I installed the 1511 version of Windows 10; I don't know if that is important or not.

Microsoft want people to upgrade to Windows 10 so the deadline was just to push them into doing it.  I suspect that Microsoft have deliberately left open a back door to a free Windows 10 upgrade, even though they don't talk about it. 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

started my 10" laptop at 0830 this morning to do a check on updates for WIndows 7 Professional..... been running non-stop all day checking for updates..

1715 and it has just reported back... 2 important updates... one is the November rollup... and the other is the update for windows defender...

Why does it take so long to find those ?

Routefinder
Grafter

@ReedRichards wrote:

I was not indicating you should do anything dishonest or dishonourable.  But I think if you first download a copy of Windows 10 and install it on your Windows 7 computer it may activate.  I last did this in September, which was over a month beyond the nominal deadline, and Windows 10 activated just as it would during the 'free' year.  I installed the 1511 version of Windows 10; I don't know if that is important or not.

Microsoft want people to upgrade to Windows 10 so the deadline was just to push them into doing it.  I suspect that Microsoft have deliberately left open a back door to a free Windows 10 upgrade, even though they don't talk about it. 

Hi Reed

I did not take your post to imply anything in that regard but posted as I did because this is an open forum and others will likely find the links and source to their 'offer'.and all such choices by those in future is a personal decision.  Though they do not require proof of access to the free issue...............should there be a support need that only(?) MS can supply they then might ask challenging questions about whether the "attached technology" is compatible and in use by the owner?

And yes MS are pushing W10 big time and there are theorists that talk of the cludge of W7 updates/updating as a "practice" by MS to force the uptake.

Routefinder
Grafter

@shutter wrote:

@Routefinder Do you really NEED windows ? .... you could try a "live cd/dvd" version of Linux Mint 18 .  You download a .iso file, then burn that to a DVD  .... (or you can install it on a USB stick )... you can then "run" it and try it out,... see if your favourite windows progs will run on Linux.. ( most do through WINE )..

You will not be able to "save any work" onto the DVD.. but there is software to make a USB stick able to save your progs, settings etc.

Best thing about Linux is it is FREE to all to use and install...

Worst thing is, some of my fave windows progs do not work on it, and the alternative "similar" progs are not as good, entailing more workload to process to the same end product.

If it were not for that... I would swap completely. 

Yes, I do need Windows (or Mac) to run my software so Linux is not an option Wink

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@Routefinder wrote:

Though they do not require proof of access to the free issue...............

You think I'm referring to the free upgrade to those using Assistive Technologies but that's not what I mean at all!  I mean that the process of installing the Upgrade from a file you downloaded still works exactly as it did and Microsoft still allows your copy to activate exactly as before.  Or at least that was true in September when I last did it.  Microsoft can block this activation route whenever they choose but they hadn't.  

Routefinder
Grafter

@ReedRichards wrote:

@Routefinder wrote:

Though they do not require proof of access to the free issue...............

You think I'm referring to the free upgrade to those using Assistive Technologies but that's not what I mean at all!  I mean that the process of installing the Upgrade from a file you downloaded still works exactly as it did and Microsoft still allows your copy to activate exactly as before.  Or at least that was true in September when I last did it.  Microsoft can block this activation route whenever they choose but they hadn't.  

I was indeed thinking of the AT route.

I still have the version 1511 download but thought and believe MS state the activation servers for that activation were turned off at the date 'back then'.  According to MS they turned off access to the activation servers at end of 29th July 2016

If as you say they are still turned on.............. Smiley

I take the installation you mention has updated to the Annivesary edition (1067) etc as appropriate?

PS I have checked the the media and DVD I downloaded and it launches AOK, offering to download updates as the initial welcome "dialogue box" Smiley  Do you recall whether you took the recommended action of letting download the updates or waited t update after the installation?

At this stage I have copied the DVD contents to the HDD for speed when I go ahead Smiley

Oh, I have both the English_US and English_International versions, do you recall which one you used?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I never have the patience to download updates before starting.  And I think my version is UK English.

Updating the version over an upgrade does not happen during the first month in case you want to go back to your previous version of Windows.  It was not my computer so I don't know for certain but I would be flabbergasted if it has not managed the 1611 update.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I just upgraded a Windows 8.1 computer to Windows 10.  It says it is activated.