cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 - Feedback

MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Re: Windows 7 - Feedback

LOL ASBODOG that's gotta hurt!  What photo gallery are you talking about? I only used to use the Windows pic and fax viewer, which there seems to be some varient of.  As for mail, I'm a T'bird kinda guy (though I am just using webmail atm).  If you ask me it's just going to put more people in the market for open source software, and that's not a bad thing.
scootie
Grafter

windows photo gallery from vista.
more people will move to open source iam sure.
just as long as M$ reduce the price of the OS if there going to start leaving stuff out yet then try to get you to download the things they left out.
cant work out what the cost of bandwith to pn customers would be for the live essentils pack as i gave up trying to download the 1mb download manger thing for the rest of essentils pack.
20 hours for 1mb. is that a new guiness book record for M$'s servers Grin
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Well it worked..... I am actually shocked, installed without a hitch, and display adapter now detected. Time will tell if its stable.  All I need now is a decent wireless card that supports Vista, shame 3com dont support it on the card I have.
@ASBODOG, I am actually all for M$ stripping these apps out, as we can choose what we want. What package are you on, I have noticed since moving to BBYW, microsoft downloads in the evening are pants!!!!, try on the morning.  Personally I use T/bird. All in all, from what I have seen, seems quite nippy, and as good as XP even in this beta form.
BTW, is it normal to have desktop icons quite big in 7/Vista.  Taskbar a normal size, but Icons seem to be bigger than XPs. would have thought there would be an option to resize them......  WOuld have posted a screenshot of what I mean, but back using the XP install on the other HDD, so I can use wireless ;).
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

I know what you mean penfold, just right click on the DT and go to view > small icons.
Took me ages to find that Grin but when at a resolution of 1680x1050 I could only fir 10 icons down the side of the screen I wasn't going to give up.
you can also set the TB icons to small aswell in a simmilar way to XP.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've had it with this. Windows Update has now corrupted itself such that when the icon in the system tray is clicked, explorer dies. In addition it blue screened when I first played Prince of Persia.
Sorry Microsoft, it's a fail for me. I reported your bugs, and enjoyed playing, but this (surprise surprise!) isn't the revolution everyone's expecting and that you really really need after the debacle that was Vista. I hope there's a lot more changes put into place before RC1 comes out, I'll be happy to have another play with it then.
Back to XP tonight, and the quest for the perfect standalone XP install.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Isn't it a core weakness?
If any fool can tell it to run an arbitrary program and it destroys the core OS then it must be fundamentally flawed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

StickyMick
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Isn't it a core weakness?

Nah, it's a feature Tongue
I was actually feeling quite positive about some of the feedback about 7. Some friends were saying that it's not so resource hungry as Vista (using only a third of what Vista does), and some others have reported that some hardware that wouldn't work under Vista actually works under 7.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Well, it's been short-lived for me. I've formatted and reverted back to Windows XP. Too many of my games were failing to install/run under Windows 7 (X64) and that's primarily what I use my home desktop for.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VileReynard
Hero

Could you not run Windows XP as a VM in Windows 7?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Nope - VMware has known compatibility issues and the Virtual PC installer just plain wouldn't run.
Tongue
(I was trying to get a VM to test one of those nLite'd XP installs I was messing with the other night... no joy.)
David_W
Rising Star

So far I've only installed 2 games on it, and they seem to work perfectly, although one was updated for Vista so that may be a reason why.
The best feature so far is actually an IE feature which should be default in every browser!  The Shift+Enter, I type in co[shift+enter] and it brings me to community.plus.net, when I go to college and use IE6 I really miss that little feature, its so helpful!
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: dgwebb
The best feature so far is actually an IE feature which should be default in every browser!  The Shift+Enter, I type in co[shift+enter] and it brings me to community.plus.net, when I go to college and use IE6 I really miss that little feature, its so helpful!

Bookmarks were invented quite some time ago.  Cheesy

David_W
Rising Star

Its not a bookmark, like, err its... lemme see...  you type in co and it lists all the web sites where co may be relevant.  The top "hit" would be probably the most visited, so instead of pushing down and enter, you press shift and enter Cheesy  they also seem to have upgraded the memory, so co... doesn't bring up a HUGE url for the community site Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A bit like Firefox 3 with the Oldbar addon then.