Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Own Goal?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Windows 10 Own Goal?

I wonder if Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot by persuading lots of innocents to upgrade to Windows 10 whilst it's still quite buggy and likely to cause problems?  Once bitten twice shy and anyone who tries it now then reverts back to their original Windows is unlikely to want to try again later.
18 REPLIES 18
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Windows 10 Own Goal?

Personally despite its few Bugs i do like the OS , most of my problems have not been MS related but hardware manufactures not bothering to release updated software  Roll_eyes
The main MS problem is that they have made a mess of Activation process , i was on the insider program previous to doing a fresh install with their  media creation tool to a USB ,, now i cant get win10 to activate  Sad they say its a problem with their server  being overwhelmed  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Firstly, I suspect most "innocents" will not have sufficient knowledge to revert after downgrading*, so are stuck. Secondly, it is a definite hardening of the "we know best" attitude such that it is not customizable to any decent level of use (especially start menu, control of updates and "protection"). That is probably due to criticism of vulnerability and the target "innocents", but that is not a valid reason to remove the ability for to configure - defender turns on real-time protect after a while if you turn it off; yes I do use manually initiated updates and scans with Win7 (either they don't detect problems or the last malware was in windows 3.1 when my son left a floppy in the drive that he brought from school; the boot order immediately got changed!).
The new browser needs tidying up to reduce "real estate" waste (and I use a 24" monitor) - I have re-instated IE11 Shocked
At the moment, it takes a long time to boot, compared with the Win7 it downgraded, and then spends a lot of time thrashing the disk after I log in - perhaps it is upset by lack of internet access Roll_eyes
Phil
* I cannot justify classing the change as an "upgrade".
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ffox
Pro

The different attitudes are interesting - I'm a bit of a geek and like to try new operating systems etc to help manufacturers iron out any bugs that weren't found in testing.
That said, I've been running Windows 10 for a week now and haven't found anything wrong far apart from a couple of insignificant glitches.  All my hardware runs OK with the exception of an old USB  wifi adapter.  Win 10  boots up a bit quicker than WIn 7 and programs seem to load quicker.  Somehow it feels more responsive.  I particularly like the rapid response from the Search box when looking for a rarely used App and it seems a bit faster than Google with Web searches (although I prefer the Google results to the Bing ones).
I can't see any reason to revert my old favourite Win 7.  Windows 10 does it all as well or faster and has some additional goodies.
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: ffox
.... I particularly like the rapid response from the Search box when looking for a rarely used App and it seems a bit faster than Google with Web searches (although I prefer the Google results to the Bing ones).

I thought the same the first time I used it, but thereafter it only gave internet results Shocked - possibly because the first time the internet was disconnected.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've had a few issues like my webcam and Outlook but in all honesty I didn't expect everything in the garden to be rosy.
I've found a workaround for my webcam issue and this forum provided the solution to my Outlook problem so things are looking up.
I have an issue with my IPCam but get round that with my laptop running Windows 7.
Hmm....this post is sounding like the contents of an Elastoplast box but I'm sure we will get there...eventually.
Edit: Thanks again to this forum I have found IE on my W10 PC and it's still configured for my IPCam so that's another workaround sorted Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
NedLudd
Grafter

I've got Windows 10 Pro running on my 2 machines. Both are running along smoothly after a couple of minor issues!  Cheesy
I'm still running IE as my Norton Password Manager cannot integrate with Edge.
Both machines have (old) ATI graphics and have updated Okay!
I like it (so far)!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The thing is, the forum regulars here are a sophisticated bunch;  we expected to find some issues with Windows 10 so weren't necessarily put-off when we did.  But surely it's too soon to push Windows 10 on all-comers as Microsoft is doing?  Because I think a lot of people will try Windows 10 once but they won't be prepared to try it again if it does not work properly the first time. 
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

My laptop has 2 graphics cards - a standard Intel one on the motherboard, and a high performance nVidia jobbie. Only just noticed that Win 10 has ignored the nVidia card completely, and indeed it is not supported.
Otherwise upgrade went well enough, it has fixed a few problems on my 5 y/o laptop. All my programmes (sorry, "apps" as we apparently now have to call them) seem to work as before. I don't particularly like the new browser or mail client, so I'll stick with Palemoon and Thunderbird
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I must Add one more thing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its Better than the messed up Release of win8  Roll_eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

And so the story goes on ..... Win 10 or revert back..... well some people seem to like it... others consider it to be still "work in progress".. and should not be let loose on the general public.... Thank you RR for your compliment... I shall now consider myself sophisticated ! ! !    I managed to get a Win 7 Pro DVD and installed that on a spare HDD... and waited for the upgrade to come along.... 4 downloads and hours of waiting for the installs to fail,  I almost gave up... however... on the 5th attempt... it went o.k.... this is now installed on my old Dell Inspiron 1545 ( c. 2008) laptop ... and is "working"... however, I am using this as a "sales gimmick"... for when I put this machine on  Ebay for sale..... much better to say... With Windows 10 installed... rather than Vista , or Win 7 .... may get a btter price for it.... The new Dell Inspiron 15 5558 laptop had Win 8.1 installed... and today, on the first attempt... it has downloaded and installed... total time taken about 3.5 hours... to get the machine back to working order.... Spent a little while with the initial settings to stop microsoft from spying on me... and doing a couple of other tweeks... then tried out some of my programs... they just don`t work ... well.. they "sort of" work... and as Strat has found..will need some kind of "workaround" before they will actually be something like they were on Win7... i.e work as written, designed, and installed... so much effort to do this... and really... this IS the 21st century... isn`t it... should we, the "customer" have to tweak up and sort out these "workarounds" for our selves, ... when those programs worked perfectly before microsoft re-wrote the O.S. so that they don`t... ?
So.. after a very frustrating day... (particularly on the old Dell machine) getting it installed... I have found the "Get Me Out Of Here" button... and gone back to Win 8.1 .....  I won`t be staying there either... as soon as I dare...... or ... when the warranty runs out... I shall be wiping the hdd  and installing a 64 bit copy of Windows 7... and then getting the drivers from DELL Support for the rest of it.. ( if I haven`t already got a DVD from them by then... )...
To sum up... for the basic use I have... Win 10 is just a waste of time and effort....  Not sure about gaming and othere techy stuff, like motherboards and graphics cards.. cos I don`t do that ... but it seems that there are issues with those guys who do....
Best of luck, if you get Win 10  and can "get along with it"...... I am going home ! ! ! ....
NedLudd
Grafter

My desktop was registered with Dell in 2007 and my lappy is even older - a pre-Dell Alienware!
Both upgraded to Win 10 without any significant problems, in fact non of the problems were hardware related!
Geoff,
York.
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: shutter
n those programs worked perfectly before microsoft re-wrote the O.S. so that they don`t... ?

.... but that allows the other software developers to sell you an updated version Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Doubt it... I only use FREEEEEE progs !....  Grin
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I tried Windows10 on a spare HDD last night, spent more time trying to get things to work than I did trying it out, feels like my first experience of Windows 7, hated it when it was first released into the wild, waited a year or so, tried again and it worked great, same hardware too, so, the Win10 loaf needs another several months in the oven before it's ready for consuming... Grin