cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi network compromised? - Norton

RuaridhOC

Wi-Fi network compromised? - Norton

One of the devices with which I access my Plusnet 2704N (Hub Zero) Router is a Google Nexus 7 tablet, running Android 6.0.1; it accesses the router via Wi-Fi.

Yesterday morning 28th March 2018, a little while after I had started looking at this device, a message popped up headed “Wi-Fi Security” and telling me that my “network was compromised by an unknown third party that may view and alter your communications”.  It offered me 2 possible actions: “TRY WIFI PRIVACY” and “CHANGE NETWORK”. 

The 2nd option is not available to me – this is my only router.

I have on this device Norton Mobile Security, and have had it with no problems for 4 years.  Now, although the pop-up message did not identify itself as coming from Norton, the 1st option took me into Google Play Store and tried to get me to download (i.e. ultimately buy) an extra module, Norton Privacy.  There’s a good deal of internet chat attached there in Google Play Store, dated the same day 28th March, most of which is saying that this is a totally unjustified sales pitch. 

I have 3 other devices that access this router via Wi-Fi, plus a PC that is connected with Ethernet: none of them has Norton Security installed and none of them sees anything amiss.

What do you think?  Would you expect this router to be proof against whatever it is that Norton’s going on about?  Is this indeed an unjustified security scare?

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Wi-Fi network compromised? - Norton

It's a Norton coding error - nothing for you to worry about. saw this problem reported somewhere else yesterday (can't remember where though Embarrassed) and I think the answer was to wait until Norton find out where they fouled up.

John
RuaridhOC

Good to know you were alert yesterday, jab1.     If that's all it was, a coding cockup by Norton, one can relax - though one would have expected better of a company like Norton/Symantec.  Indeed, it does make you wonder how innocent a cockup it was that was so much in their favour - a fair few of the internet feedbacks in Google Play were along the lines of "Phew, thank *** they warned me, that's $39 well spent". Somehow, I don't expect it to be any time soon that they announce they did foul up and retract it..

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It's a false positive from Norton and they are aware of it.

This thread covers it.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Even more Embarrassed now - but I have been busy since yesterday.Smiley

John
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Don't be Embarrassed John, it took me a couple of attempts to find the relevant thread.