Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Networking Software for a PS3

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Which Networking Software for a PS3

I'm back  Wink managed to get everything back to where it was other than install the second drive. I don't want to even plug it in at the minute  Grin
Tried all the things suggested and it just wouldn't have it the HD just never showed up. I managed to get hold of the the max blast bootable CD and re-installed the drive using a floppy. That wasn't without issues either, I pulled out the floppy and the metal slide bit came off inside the drive  Shocked managed to get it back out with a knife  Grin It's been a long few days needless to say.
I even tried with one newly installed sata drive to see what would happen if I tried the W7 disc in and managed to replicate the original problem. After the installing windows bit had gone past the disc freezes at the loading windows stage. Re-boot the machine and you guessed it the Sata drive has gone again.  Roll_eyes
I'm not even going down the road of trying to work out why, some say disable all onboard stuff in bios, usb, ethernet etc, and just go to bed with it running and it will eventually start but as there was no disc activity for half an hour I can't see that happening.
Anyway used maxtor floppy to format and install the drive and straight on with 10.04 rebooted and jobs a good un. Got everything up to date so all I need now is to put that second drive back in.
What's best way of doing this? I was thinking about plugging it back in booting from the live CD and then formatting it again to get rid of anything that's going to try and boot up again.
What should I format the drive as to use it as a second storage drive? Logical, primary etc Hopefully I can get this sorted out and get back to my original post of STREAMING MEDIA TO MY PS3  Grin
What a journey never again.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OK what drive do you have in at the mo the sata or the pata?
At the mo it doesn't matter what format it is in until you get it on the machine then format it there. WRT Primary/secondary I would go with ONE Primary partition ext4 formatted
Assuming everything is working before you plug in the drive, just make sure the bios is still booting from the original one. As I said before you may need to boot from the live-cd to re-install grub2 if it part boots, something like "Grub could not find stage 2". It is usually because the drive ordering has changed. However they are now moving to using the ID of drive rather than the number so this doesn't happen.
Once you have the media installed then go back to PS3 Media streamer it is supposed to work best with the PS3, Mediatomb works but is a bit fernicticy to setup.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Cheers HB I have the SATA installed and set up at the minute and the PATA unplugged. There are no options to boot the drive I can find, in fact if I go into the bios the drive doesn't show up. I have been though them all, the only time I even know that the drive exists is when I get a quick glimpse of it on the bios loading screen. In bios there is no primary or secondary drive listed on either IDE channel likely because it's not using those channels. Seems odd that the bios doesn't list any sata drives in the boot list as the SATA connections are on board and not added later.
I went right through the options and just get the choice of boot devices floppy,CDROM,RAID,ASCI,HDO That's why it gets complicated there is no way to differentiate which is HD0 until it's actually booted. What was happening was the second drive was making itself the primary drive even though it was set as slave on the jumpers and on the slave end of the cable. I put this down to the SATA not being installed or in a format that the bios didn't recognise.
Hopefully I have now installed it first and have a working OS on it SHOULD keep itself as the main bootable drive. Hence being on pins about connecting the other up  Grin I just want to make sure this drive is totally wiped so it doesn't try and take over on the next boot and put me right back to square one  Roll_eyes
Once you have the media installed then go back to PS3 Media streamer it is supposed to work best with the PS3, Mediatomb works but is a bit fernicticy to setup.

I was reading up on them both last night and came to the same conclusion that MT looked a bit harder to sort out, but I knew you had it so was good for advice  Wink I will try the PS3 Server though. I like the java interface more than the http way that MT does it.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

As I said I had this issue about a year - 18 months ago. I had added a new sata drive, installed the new OS on to and rebooted to a grub error  Crazy
Came down to the drive ordering changing when Linux started up, after removing the pata drives and re-installing grub I was back up even after I added the pata ones again, hopefully you will be the same.
I wrote a howto for MT <a href="http://www.mediaplayerworld.com/index.php?topic=346.0">HERE</a> on Linux, to stream Internet radio to my Sumvision box. Now superseded as Metafeeds now stream it for me.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Yeah I'd persevere with PS3 media server it works well and much better than any proprietary software I've tried.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

after removing the pata drives and re-installing grub

Will I need to reinstall grub or will that have happened when I installed 10.04? I don't get the grub screen on boot up it just boots straight into Ubuntu.
Yeah I'd persevere with PS3 media server it works well and much better than any proprietary software I've tried.

Will do, Like I said it did work and I could access files. The only two issues I had with it were it said it couldn't find the PS3 even though it was connected and even when I ticked the boxes to stop it showing the all non media folders, renderers etc they just stayed. I was aiming for just having a link to the folder my ps3 shared stuff was on.
Looking through their boards the not connection issue seems to affect wireless connections but I'm wired into a homeplug adapter, and the folders could have possibly been down to me sharing a folder on a different drive which may possibly have been down to me not setting up the drive to be mounted properly  Undecided
It does look like exactly what I'm after if working properly.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

When you've ticked your folders don't forget to restart the app or the http server.
I'm using it wired, haven't tried wireless or homeplugs.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Tried connecting the second drive this morning and the computer won't boot up. If I hit the delete key I can't even get into bios  Shocked Totally bewildered Crazy
HairyMcbiker
All Star

You get anything on the screen? This used to be when you plugged in the cable the wrong way, but modern ones have bits to stop you doing that.
Check all the connections again maybe you unplugged something when you put the drive back in.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I will do m8, TBH I'm toying with the idea of getting a new one. It's only 120gig and was robbed out of a very old machine. Probably not the best to be using for storing all my stuff.
Back to PS3media server, I'm going to give it a try anyway just using the existing drive. There seems to be a few variations of how to install it, some of them quite dated and lots of talk of older versions being better. Which route is best you reckon to go down? There are deb versions which auto install and I think I also need the some codecs.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I managed to get PS3 media server working, I won't get into why my settings were not saving last time  Embarrassed Grin It works ok, I was a bit disappointed to find you can't copy and paste files from one to the other. I guess it's more for just streaming than actual networking. What would I need to be able to do that? It's a bit of a PITA having to put things on USB drives. I have found one bug though unless it's just me, if I quit PS3MS then restart it I have the PS3 can't be found. I have to restart the PS to link them up again. I maybe drop in the developers board with that one unless any users here have an answer.
Back to the old hard drive again tomorrow that should be fun  Roll_eyes BTW un-related, do programs have to be in the home folder to run? I created a folder in the home called installed software and PS3MS wouldn't run from there. One good thing has come from all this I have learned even more about linux, I didn't realise you could change the icons of the launchers, how cool is that.  Smiley
The whole experience has made me appreciate Ubuntu more tbh. When I think about it other than some self inflicted problems the fact that I can have a fully functioning system with all my hardware working in about 20 mins amazes me.  
Edit solved the not finding I just had to refresh server rather than re-start the PS3
HairyMcbiker
All Star

WRT the finding the program, as with all things it needs to be in the path or you need to specify the path to it. So it is in "Installed Software" and called PS3MS then the link to run it would need to contain  ~/Installed\ Software/PS3MS/name of file. (NB note the "\ " in the middle to specify the space, not always necessary but useful) You can make links using Nautilus from the right click menu.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I don't think it's the path m8 the program wouldn't run from inside the folder or the launcher. I downloaded it and put it on a stick from work, extracted it into the installed software folder and made the two files executable like in the instructions. When I clicked it direct in the folder nothing came up but as soon as I copied the folder so it was just in home it worked. I tried putting it back in installed software stopped working again all the time clicking directly on the psh rather than using a launcher. I only created the launcher after I decided just to leave it in home.
Is it possible something in the actual program is looking for files in home rather than where I put it?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

It shouldn't care where it is put, but only having used it once I am not sure about it maybe someone who uses it will comment.