cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Networking Software for a PS3

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Which Networking Software for a PS3

Possibly a bit late to the party but I use PS3 media server from my Mac to PS3 with no issues at all.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
It seems like I have a MS boot record on one hard drive and a grub boot loader on the other.
Whats the best to get the boot files off the MS hard drive so I just go straight into ubuntu again?

A MS boot record (actually an IBM boot record) format is common to both Linux and Microsoft.
It just contains a pointer to a big chunk of code in one of your partitions that loads either the GRUB or W7 boot loader.
The bootloader of choice then loads your OS of choice.
e.g. GRUB will offer a choice of all the installed OS's - presumably Ubuntu or W7?
Don't know about Windows...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Possibly a bit late to the party but I use PS3 media server from my Mac to PS3 with no issues at all.

Never too late to join the party  Smiley From what I can gather the issue is between java and ps3 server. After rebooting the computer the gui says that it's trying to connect to the ps3 but if I go to the ps3 I CAN access the files that are on there. I would prefer if I can get it working to use PS3 server because as the name suggests it's a ps3 server  Roll_eyes Media tomb is in the repos though so I'm guessing to get there it would have been though some testing to qualify where PS3MS is trying to get into the repos.
The bootloader of choice then loads your OS of choice.

The million dollar question is how I format the second drive so that W7 is not on there at all and how to prevent the boot loader giving me the option?
All I want to do is have one hard drive with a boot loader that immedialtely starts with ubuntu, doesn't sound like it should be difficult but I'm getting nowhere at the minute. The most annoying things is I have to wait after formatting to the full disc loads before I know if it's worked.
If I boot using any MS OS then the hard drive which previously contained Ubuntu is not available. Is the boot record that is pointing me to choose which OS to start on both dics or just the one? How do I alter the MBR to stop it doing it? That's the bit that's driving me crazy I'm not sure which boot loader is pointing me into which OS I have tried rebuilding both HD's in msdos format but that doesn't seem to overwrite the boot record even though I format the entire contents of the drive.
It seems like every time I format either drive whether it be with MS boot loader or in Gparted using it just leaves the section containing the MBR.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OK very late to the party as I don't have a ps3. I DO however use Mediatomb  Wink
What is the current state of affairs? What drive has which OS on it and you want to keep? You are mentioning W7 & Ubuntu both in this thread and I haven’t read all of it  Lips_are_sealed
IF you want to stay with W7 then install it and it will happy wipe the MBR of grub.
IF you want to delete it then just re-format the drive as ext3/4 and use it in your media library.
OR WHY?
VileReynard
Hero

Who knows what is on that second disk?
Just because GRUB thinks it has W7 on it is no guarantee.
BTW If you are looking at web sites about GRUB, you need to be looking at GRUB2 Cheesy - which is different from plain old GRUB Cheesy Cheesy
Whilst I'm not using GRUB2 - still on legacy GRUB Cheesy
You need to "edit" the GRUB2 menu.
It is possible to install a GUI package called Startup-Manager which allows you to set the default OS and how long to wait for you to choose the appropriate OS - I suggest one second is long enough.
After install it goes into System -> Admin menu.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I'm running from the live CD at the moment while looking for answers. When I got in tonight I ran the live CD went into Gparted and created a new msdos partition table on both hard drives. Rebooted and installed ubuntu to the right drive. No advanced options just set it to use the entire drive and ticked boot. Everything installed told me to take out the CD then wouldn't shut down so I hard to hard restart the machine.
Wouldn't boot at all, so disk back in got to the part where it wants me to pick a drive and it says there is an ubuntu 10.04 os on the drive. Thats where I am right now, live cd checking here for answers while searching for correct partitioning for Ubuntu.
Btw I would have put the W7 disc on if poss but I just can't get the disc to load so back to old faithful. Oddly enough I know a little bit more about ubuntu than I do of 7 which is a big turnaround for me  Grin I just can't see where I'm going wrong. Installation has always been a dream with ubuntu which is one of it's strengths.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Just looking at the drive it's called /dev/sda1 should that not start with hd0,0, possibly grub is not loaded?
VileReynard
Hero

Grub starts numbering from zero - its non-standard!
You have Ubuntu installed - it's OK to say overwrite your OS or simply to forcibly eject the CD, since you have an installed Ubuntu.
Then reboot without a CD should (with a lot of luck,) work!  Roll_eyes
BTW It's a really good idea to put your data directory (/home) in a different partition to the rest of the OS (when you get it working).

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

M8 I have installed Ubuntu three times on the same hard drive tonight and rebooted so many times the noise of it is starting to make me feel nauseus. When I reboot it freezes at the updating DMI or whatever it is. The reason I don't know was this time when it happened I was going to post about it but out of curiosity I tried installing it to my second drive and it has worked no problem.
My set up is 1 80gig sata drive(newish) and one ide 120gig drive(old). What would you suggest my plan is for the next attempt at installation because its my last time tonight before knocking it on the head. My plan was OS on the faster marginally sata and just leave the 120 as a storage.
Then reboot without a CD should (with a lot of luck,) work!

Will rebooting sort it if I just keep doing it?
So if you were me with that setup and these problems how would you go about clearing both hard drives of everything and installing ubuntu so it os the only thing that boots up when my computer starts, not even a choice of kernel. In fact just the way it was before  Grin
I have either been very lucky on all my other ubuntu installations or I'm seriously missing something here.  I now have a copy on each of the hard drives.

VileReynard
Hero

That freeze "updating DMI" is really bad news. sorry.
See e.g. http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/how-to-update-dmi/61920.html
e.g.
The DMI (Desktop Management Interface) is part of the BIOS. It is where the BIOS stores hardware information that is then used by the Operating System. Normally it is updated automatically whenever the hardware changes such as more memory being installed or another hard disk.
Some BIOS have as a setting to force a DMI update on every boot as a matter of routine or just as required. It usually requires no intervention from the user.

I think you will have to look at its guts. Tongue

Waldo
Grafter

/dev/sda1 is the first partition on the first sata drive; translates to (hd0,msdos1) in /boot/grub/grub.cfg (on Ubuntu 10.10).
I think in your position I would repartition the second drive, disconnect it from the system, set the BIOS to defaults and try getting whichever OS you want to use installed and working on one hard drive.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I had this issue a while ago, when I installed a sata drive the system (BIOS) made it drive 3 but Linux made it drive 0.
Way to fix, remove the pata drive (for the mo) and set the BIOS to boot from the SATA one.
Once it has booted fine then switch off and re-connect the PATA one. (You may need to boot from the CD and do a GRUB install/edit, to get the GRUB fixed if necessary no need to re-install)
Check the BIOS has not changed after installing the PATA and it should boot OK.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks very much guys, I went to bed last night with these very thoughts in my head. I was going through the entire farce from beginning to end and thinking where it could have went wrong and what your saying makes a lot of sense. I have it installed and running now but its on the pata and the drive name is sdb where as the main drive I was going to put it on is sda. As I can successfully install it to the first drive and work with the drive from the live cd or from the running ubuntu on the second drive I'm guessing the drive is ok but like you said the issue is the pata drive is defaulting to the main drive on boot up. Now if I wipe the second drive so it can't boot I get the DMI freeze up. All signs are there is a conflict between the drives.
That takes me back to the W7 installation, because it kept trying to install to the second drive I unplugged it to try and force default to first but as that had the ubuntu on wouldn't over write it. I think at some when plugging it back in I have changed the priority of the drives  Undecided
I do notice in bios boot up that the second drive comes up as primary and no drive is shown as secondary so a lot of this is making sense, A wipe of both and re-setting up the hardware config is required like you say. Another one is did I put the IDE cable on the right way making the second drive a master  Shocked surely not that school boy error  Grin possible though because my heads been battered with it and didn't have time to whip the side off this morning.
Something else I have been thinking about that Fox mentioned about the home folder, When I tried Media tomb last time it defaulted to my ubuntu media folders. As they were on the smaller of the drives I created a folder on the second drive called PS3 shares to keep stuff in to stream to the PS. Looking back now my problems were possibly down to the drive not being mounted  Undecided would it be a good idea to install the OS to the first drive then install the home folder on the second bigger drive so that when I finally get this working I can just put the PS3 shares into the home media folders?
Good or bad move, will it just complicate things further? another option might be just to use the smaller sata as the second drive. From what I can make out there is no real advantage to the sata unless setting up a raid array other than it's marginally faster and newer.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on that one.
Another quick question how do you make the bios boot from the sata I'm not sure which drive is the sata in bios?
VileReynard
Hero

The reason I mentioned putting /home in a separate partition is to allow Ubuntu upgrades without wiping your user data - probably a "nice to have" at this stage :D.
If you create non-standard folders (nothing wrong with that) you would only need to mount them if they are in a separate partition (possibly on a separate drive).
It's a straight-forward thing to setup to automount these separate filesystems - you just need to follow about 3 simple instructions Grin
Under the circumstances, it's probably not significant what disk holds what!!!
During the install, Ubuntu will create a /home folder and even where it holds no data it is used to contain user-specific set-up / preferences (although this is in hidden files).
If you can't setup your /home on the second disk during the Ubuntu install, you would be faced with moving /home between disks - so don't go there.
There is no reason why you can't just create a PS3 sharing folder on the second disk when things settle down though.
I have a second disk - with two automounted filesystems and it looks like this:-

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Multiple mounted drives are no issues. On this PC I have 3 disks, all appear in my /home folder under different alias'  music video etc, you just need to add them to the fstab AFTER you have installed the system.
At the mo I would uninstall the pata drive and boot using the sata one, usually under OTHER on the boot menu if the sata controller is an extra.