Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Linux problem

FIXED
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Weird Linux problem

Apparently the menu editor is called mozo, try searching for it. If that doesn’t list the Places items your next option is to try right clicking either on Places or the menu icon.
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Done a search for mozo... nothing showed up.... right clicked on the "Places"    part of the menu... but no mention of "Desktop".. 

Cheers for trying.  Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You should have a menu editor called alacarte , otherwise known as 'Main menu'

But anyway, try Preferences -> Desktop

Do you have anything like this?

desktop.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard 

Yes I do get that up from the "Control Centre".... ( And from Preferences > Desktop settings )

desktop settings.png

but there is no way to edit the properties of the words "Desktop" or "Home Folder"  ( on the Main Menu window) . to get them to point to the right place... 

As mentioned in my original post...

I have unistalled Irfanview,... and re-booted the laptop.... but when I now click on Desktop... I get a message box... Windows is unable to open this.

Due to the fact that the properties are still trying to find Irfanview.  So they have not "reverted" back to the correct properties by uninstalling the program.

RPMozley
Pro

Right click on the LM icon and choose Preferences -> Places tab. Don’t know why the default Desktop item is screwed but in the prefs you can disable that and add a custom item pointing to your desktop folder.
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

@RPMozley  Ok....  so what do I actually put in the "custom places" box... ?

Presumably I would need to do a similar insert for the"Home Folder"  as that also points to Irfanview.. but with no content in the viewing area, unlike the Desktop.   ( In which case, the question applies here also ! )

To quote a famous radio program.... "I`m sorry I haven`t a clue".  Undecided  ..    ! ! ! !  

RPMozley
Pro

Tap New, a pop up window will appear. Enter a custom name “Desktop” or “Home” for your case. Then for folder use the dropdown menu to select the right folder. Save or done. Then disable default ones that aren’t working.
That's RPM to you!!
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

To quote a famous radio program.... "I`m sorry I haven`t a clue".  Undecided  ..    ! ! ! !  

To quote a famous TV program ... "Final answer?"  Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

@RPMozley  ok  Thanks.. I`ll give that a go...  Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

@RPMozley   Well, I did that...but couldn`t see any "save" option... so I just did a restart....

on restarting.. I tried to access the "Desktop" from the  LM Menu... but it still showed the Irfanview with the vid running ( actually it`s a gif ) but same thing...

menu pref 01.png

Proably because the "address" is the same as the original..

( accessed from LM > Menu >  Computer>Desktop   )

Desktop properties.png

RPMozley
Pro

Fix
If that’s not working then only other thing I can think of is “Preferred Applications”. Located in control centre at the bottom, if you have default list order. Just make sure Caja is selected for File Browser/manager (not sure which name is used here) in the system tab.

Switch back the places settings if it works now, restart not required.
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

@RPMozley   Ye Haaaaaagh !...Smiley

.. That`s cured it ! ... was File Manager   showing Irfanview... selected Caja, and  it works .

Superb ... Thanks a lot.... I`d give you 5 stars... but you deserve 10 .... nah   1000  ! ! ..Cheesy

RPMozley
Pro

I’m glad that solved it for you @shutter
Still a mystery as to how it changed to a different program. I’m sure you wouldn’t have done it directly, must have been some automated task while installing something.
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

@RPMozley  Yeah, well... Thanks a million... as you say.. mystery how it happened... and no, I didn`t do it ! ..

Have a good Sunday

Cheers  Wink