Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Advice

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Webcam Advice

Hi all,

I've got a Skype interview on Tuesday, that's going to mean I will need to get a Webcam won't it? After all if they just wanted to speak to me, that can be done on the phone.

Ironically for someone who works in IT, I have never owned one. Never had the need to have one until now. I suppose I should. I am going to pop to my local Argos and pick one up.

I do have a Skype account but never use it. So one password reset later it is back up and running. Sorted.

My requirements are quite simple:

1. Dosen't it cost an arm and a leg.
  2. I want it to pick it up from my local Argos. No time to order on-line by delivery Tuesday AM now.
  3. Is not rubbish (tempted to test the swear filter there - better not).
  4. I want it to work on my Mac - so drivers, etc.

I am going to pop to my local high street and take a chance, but if anyone uses a nice one on a Mac I can pick up locally please let me know.

Bit of a quiz challenge I know Smiley

I'll check the forums on my phone in a bit and see if anyone can help.

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Webcam Advice

Although I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but doesn’t your Mac have a built in webcam? My iMac from 2011 does (and also MacBook Pro from 2012).
Oh and good luck with the interview. Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks @Gandalf 

Never used one and someone else suggested it to me. Always wondered what the black dot was for.

I paid £25 in Argos for a Microsoft one, here I go setting it up.

Thanks for the good luck - appreciated.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Good luck with the interview @Alex. You  might not necessarily need an webcam for the interview, though it wouldn't do any harm to have one, it might be worth checking.  We regularly use Skype for messaging, calls (group and one to one) and screen sharing, including when we're doing interviews

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck with your interview today @Alex come back and let us know how it went and if the interviewer looked like this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

How’d it go? Although I’m sure and hope you nailed it.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks all for asking.

Got a webcam from Argos, £25 and being the first time I've ever used one and it wasn't too bad to setup on my Mac.

So had it and it seemed to go well, not heard back yet. In my experience sometimes I've had an interview I thought went really badly, and I got through to the next stage, and another I thought went well and I didn't.

Wait and see, I am hoping they were interviewing all last week and I may hear something back tomorrow or (well actually it being a Sunday, technically it is this week now!).

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Alex, "... sometimes I've had an interview I thought went really badly, and I got through to the next stage, and another I thought went well and I didn't."

Not getting a job doesn't necessary mean you are not good enough, it could just be that someone else was considered a marginally better fit for that particular job.  One of the most difficult things in recruitment is deciding who, out of a group of suitable candidates, to employ.

I hope you got it.