Did you mean: 

Watching Telly on my Laptop

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Watching Telly on my Laptop

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

The analogue signal was switched off at least 10 years ago, everyone's on some kind of digital system now, but for the sake of argument (avoiding one as for various reasons I've been in a bad mood all afternoon) he could get another Freeview box and set it up in another room.

@MrAllen2021    To save an argument...   Roll_eyes  I refer you to post number 30 on the previous page.....  Roll_eyes

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@shutter I was trying to help you... I will not bother in future! Smh @ this forum.

Do you see? Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

@MrAllen2021  Thank you for your help... however... you should have read the whole of the thread...in particular the first posting, and then you would have been able to make your help, more appropriate to the problem outlined.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can watch a hundreds of channels on IPTV, if you've got an internet connection.

They might not be your choice, though.

Screenshot.png

Only a proportion of those channels are actually available.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@VileReynard   Thanks foxy.... Wink have found this link    https://github.com/iptv-org/iptv

which gives hundreds of tv channels world wide.... Just been checking a couple out... BBC and ITV.. both are "live" on the laptop, showing the same pic as on the telly... so... thanks very much... just what I was looking for..

Click on the "playlist".. wait... and when it shows.... scroll down to a channel... right click >  Play.. wait a few secs and it appears in VLC player.

BRILL !

Smiley

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  What is the linky URL for the one you have posted  ? ? ?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There is a program you can install in Mint/LMDE (and quite possibly other Linux's) - Hypnotix from which that screenshot was taken, it gives a more integrated viewing experience. See https://github.com/linuxmint/hypnotix 

It comes with a default .M3U file where half the channels weren't working, but you can add extra sources - such as the ones provided by you. I'm not aware of any link other than your https://github.com/iptv-org/iptv  except that there are supposed to be lots of M3U links scattered across the internet.

You will find lots of hits for searches for "m3u based iptv sources" or "m3u player".

Obviously if you don't have Hypnotix you could compile from the GitHub source or use whatever method is suggested.

Tried your sources and they are much better than my default ones, but using VLC is a bit clumsy when you want to find the right channel out of thousands.

Using your "by country" set, here is another screenshot:-

Screenshot.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   thanks foxy...yeah.. I had a quick delve into the "sub-menu`s" which make it much easier to fine UK/English tv stations... also if you are into a particular "program type" ... e.g. Documentary ... comedy.. news.. etc

Have bookmarked the github url for further investigation... certainly will be doing some world wide tv searching...

Thanks again.

Wink

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@VileReynard wrote:

... but using VLC is a bit clumsy when you want to find the right channel out of thousands.

I'd agree with that comment @VileReynard 

I use MediaPortal (Windows) as my TV server (using a quad-tuner DVB-T2 TV card), and also the same program in client mode on other PCs.  It has some inbuilt IP-TV functions but I never managed to get far with that aspect, although I didn't investigate it too deeply.  However I might have another look at it.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  & @VileReynard    I think that VLC is the "Default" option, particularly so, when using Linux ... Probably other media players can handle it..... might have a looksee, when I`m bored, tomorrow !.

EDIT EDIT EDIT...

Just thought I would google... which is best .m3u player for Linux....  got this page

https://iptvsetupguide.com/iptv-player-for-linux-and-ubuntu/

Top 5 Best IPTV Player for Linux and Ubuntu

In this category of Best IPTV Player for Linux and Ubuntu should be the following:

• Kodi
  • VLC Media Player
  • Ubuntu TV
  • IPTVX
  • FreeTUXTV

It also says which is best for windows...

This page has lots of information about different players, and different O.S.`s.....

https://iptvsetupguide.com/category/iptv-players/

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

@RobPN  & @VileReynard    I think that VLC is the "Default" option, particularly so, when using Linux ... Probably other media players can handle it..... might have a looksee, when I`m bored, tomorrow !.

EDIT EDIT EDIT...

Just thought I would google... which is best .m3u player for Linux....  got this page

@shutter 

An .m3u file is just a playlist and could relate to audio files for example, so the 'default player' is just whichever program you have associated that file-type with.

E.g. on my Windows PC I have m3u files associated with foobar2000, and to use the ones you linked to with VLC I just right-click them and choose 'Open with' ...