Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watching Telly on my Laptop

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Watching Telly on my Laptop

@Mook  The errors come when /after install is complete... it shows an error message saying the program has experienced a fatal error and must close...

This happens when some DLL is missing, or some part of the "fake" windows, setup in WINE is missing... 95 % of windows progs install with no problems... however, this is the same error notice I get when trying to install MSPUBLISHER 98.. and I have to use VIrtual Box to get that working as it should do.

I`ll start VB and Win7 and see if it works on that... 

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook Well, Kinda, Partial success... PVR installed from the driver disc... but on starting the program.. it states that the device is not ready... check the connection.. Tried it with both dongles... maybe it`s the wrong program for the wrong dongles !.

GIve up !.. will see if I can do some research on Google about it, and maybe have to buy another dongle , with the correct driver disc.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Progress is progress.

See what information you can glean from the devices in question, enter this information in to a search engine of choice and see if there are revised drivers available.

If it's recent hardware you may even get native Linux ones but you may have to buy a new one to get this.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook   the device is not ready... check the connection.

Is the ONLY information given out by the software.... apart from plugging and unplugging, there is no way to "check the connection".. ( yes I did try it in other USB Slots ! )

there are two small led`s on the dongle, neither of which "Light up", when plugged in...

I have checked the battery on the Remote Control unit, and it registers 3.3v. (Its a CR2032) which, considering it is over 4 years old, it compares to a more recently acquired new one.. of showing 3.2v ! .

Checking the PCB`s inside the dongle... one has WL-04 as an Ident.... this has a driver disc, but the drivers do not want to install, either on Linux or on VB win7...

the other has M-DVB218 REV A  on it, so may be I can source a driver as you suggest..

cheers

Mook
Seasoned Champion

By information @shutter I meant Maker / Model No etc.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook  Pics of the two dongles.... top one is the WL-04 pcb

P1100882.JPG

the only other info on them is as described from the PCB`s inside them

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Nothing obvious appears in the results maybe you'll need to invest in a new one like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PZ1PXF6

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook   Hmmm....  thanks   looks interesting... especially as it does mention it can be used with Linux

About this item

• *【LINUX】** TV Tuner only support ubuntu 20.04.1 below or kernel:5.0 below. if Linux driver is needed, please contact mwj@geniatech.com to get it for free.
  • *【Support Android TV】- FTA Tuner Loader for Android TV OS televisions or STBs (free download) *If not, please download and install the PadTV HD from Goole Store app.
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm not certain but I'd assume even to watch TV online you'd still need a valid TV license.

Do you see? Cheesy
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@MrAllen2021  - @shutter already has a TV licence - his wife watches different programmes to him, so he merely wants to be able to watch what he wants, elsewhere.

John
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

Simple solution.

Depending if @shutter is on Sky or Virgin TV or whatever, get 2 boxes and have 1 in the other room or upstairs for instance, then you've got 2 viewing cards and can watch what you want, when you want with no interruption from 'er indoors Cheesy 

Do you see? Cheesy
jab1
Legend

And if, like me, he is on simple terrestrial TV?

John
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro

The analogue signal was switched off at least 10 years ago, everyone's on some kind of digital system now, but for the sake of argument (avoiding one as for various reasons I've been in a bad mood all afternoon) he could get another Freeview box and set it up in another room.

Do you see? Cheesy
jab1
Legend

I know the analogue signal was turned off a long time ago - but I, and many others survive with the digital signals we receive via the roof-top (ex-analogue) aerial we've had for many, many years.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@MrAllen2021   Obviously.... you have not been been following this thread from the beginning..... and have missed some vital information carefully set out in this

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Watching-Telly-on-my-Laptop/m-p/181970...

the Original Post on this thread.... 

If you had done your research, as outlined, in that linky.... you would have realised that your "simple solution" was anything but... and totally irrelevant to the problem described.