Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOL FTP Server from FTP Client

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

WOL FTP Server from FTP Client

Need to wake up the box using magic packets, I can do this from the router or a dedicated program but Is there not a way to wake the ftp server (filezilla) from an FTP Client ?

7 REPLIES 7
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: WOL FTP Server from FTP Client

Not normally. An ftp client is just that, a client for the ftp protocol.
Magic packet is a different protocol and typically servers running ftp such as Web servers, are online 24/7. You might be able to find an open source ftp client and add that functionality though.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I doubt if any thought has been given for including the ability to send a "magic packet" to wake a remote system when wanting to establish a FTP connection as most server systems run continuously and the OS will "wake" an instance of the server daemon when a connection request is received.

I would probably go for a script to loop for a short interval, sending the packet and checking for a ping response and report an error or launch the FTP client depending whether or not a response occurred before the loop count expired.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you want to run a specific program on the remote machine, SSH can do this (after you've woken up the remote machine, via some ingenious method).

Note that WOL means Wake on LAN, so you could just walk over to the LAN PC & switch it on.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@VileReynard wrote:
Note that WOL means Wake on LAN, so you could just walk over to the LAN PC & switch it on.

That's not always convenient - especially from a detached outbuilding in a heavy downpour (to cite an extreme example!).

In my case, I have two machines that are separated by a couple of feet short of the longest possible "shortest path" in my house, positioned for "normal usage convenience"; though it is rare to need a manual WOL event.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
30FTTC06
Pro

Well, I guess I'm just going to have to use This seeing as the box will be in the loft.

I've no desire to have the thing whirirng away needlessly!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could always try (free of charge) Cheesy the Linux wol command.

https://linux.die.net/man/1/wol

There are also other ways...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

30FTTC06
Pro

Yeah, there are plenty of ways to do it, on windows it would be powershell or funky program with one click, on the router it would be the WoL function (Manual or auto) or even timmed event. But I'm just trying to make it as easy as possible for other family members to be able to wake the machine and ftp to the box to get old stuff or even use it as a file store for new stuff. Thats why I asked the question (FTP Client With WoL Function) so it would be very easy for people to use. I can't be explaining how to enable scripts to executed in powershell to your standard pc user  or for that matter access to the router either!

You may or may not be aware - I have many Flavours of Linux lying around, but thats me.

Is there no simple solution to this problem without leaving the machine in a constant run state. The mind boogles¬