cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN

ChrisD2

VPN

Hi all,
I use the android built in VPN to connect to my home network when away.
Simple, fixed ip at home, open up my settings go to VPN click connect and it should work.
If I'm on a WiFi in a cafe for example the VPN connects no trouble. If I'm using my mobile signal it won't connect.

I was with EE, everything worked fine. I then changed to ID mobile, they believe there is nothing wrong. So the only thing left for me really is perhaps Plusnet are blocking a certain type of mobile IP address?

Any help would be great

Cheers
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: VPN

What type of VPN ?

I would guess its a CGNAT issue https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband/4690151-cant-connect-with-idmobile-but-can-with-th... .

I've had problems connecting to the office VPN from some mobile networks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ChrisD2

PPTP
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yup, that will be a CGNAT issue.

Do you have any other VPN options ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ChrisD2

No, I've always used this. It's the DD wrt VPN router type set up. Used it for years, never had any issues connecting to it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

PPTP will struggle with a CGNAT setup which some ( but not all ) mobile providers use, since it requires the GRE protocol to be forwarded.

DD-WRT does seem to support OpenVPN https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN , that SHOULDNT have the same issues with CGNAT as it uses SSL.

ChrisD2

It's was a bit beyond me setting up the openvpn thing, plus I had the PPTP working fine so didn't really need to.
You think there is any other way do you think? Is there a way to change the mobile IP or someone mad like that?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If its a CGNAT  issue then there's nothing you can do about it.

ChrisD2

Thanks for the information. It's all very helpfull. I might try the other VPN set up and see what I get from that.