Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDSL with PPPoE or DHCP?

FIXED
machare
Rising Star

VDSL with PPPoE or DHCP?

Is it possible to have a Plusent VDSL connection with DHCP rather than PPPoE?

11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: VDSL with PPPoE or DHCP?

Fix

In a word, No

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

machare
Rising Star

Thank you. That is a pity.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@machare wrote:

Is it possible to have a Plusent VDSL connection with DHCP rather than PPPoE?

Is there something more than meets the eye with this question?

PPPoE is the establishment of an authenticated session ... which gets an IP address assigned by the remote POP DHCP servers.  If an ACOUNT has a static IP address that will be assigned through the remote DHCP service in Plusnet's data centres.

...or am I missing something subtle here?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

machare
Rising Star

Yes, you did not answer my question.  The reason that I asked the question was that I had difficulty getting my Opnsense router to connect using PPPoE via an HG612.  I did eventually manage, after reverting to an earlier Opnsense configuration and trying to modify that. for PPPoE.

Google searches reveal that others have also had difficulties with Opnsense and its cousin Pfsense.  At another location I have an Opnsense router connected to Gigaclear FTTP just using DHCP.  This was much easier to get to work.  Apparently PPPoE does impose a work load on the router hardware unlike DHCP.  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I think that would imply that the Gigaclear FTTP service was in some manner pre-authenticated / access permitted within a private network.

machare
Rising Star

Since the Gigaclear combined ONT/Router was put in bridge mode, I can no longer make contact with it. Any router that I have just connects to it using DHCP and gets a public IP address.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The ISP's that use DHCP use one of the DHCP options to add some form of 'subscriber id' to the DHCP request, to enable them to identify the user and allocate an IP address accordingly. I suspect, in the case of Gigaclear. the combined ONT/router acts as a DHCP Relay Agent and inserts the correct ID information.

machare
Rising Star

Maybe.  The fibre cable to my house is directly connected to a specific port on a card in a cabinet. So that could be a method of identifying my service. Now that the Gigaclear box at my home is in bridge mode I can no longer access it. I can just connect to the Internet using DHCP.  Gigaclear themselves will be able to access the box somehow for example to change it back from bridge mode to router mode. 

stephenw10
Rising Star

What sort of problems did you have?

I use pfSense with an HG612 and it pretty much 'just works'. However it's been a while since I set it up. It's possible something in earlier versions made it easier though I don't know what that could be, nothing much has changed there for years.

machare
Rising Star

The problem was that the OPNsense router just did not connect via the HG612.  I reverted to an earlier configuration and then followed these instructions: https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=17485.0 

The router then connected via the HG612 and maybe the same configuration will work in the future if I get Plusnet FTTP.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and maybe the same configuration will work in the future if I get Plusnet FTTP.

Should work exactly as is. Just connect the ethernet cable directly to the ONT instead of to the HG612, job done!.