cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using old plusnet hub for smart home devices

FIXED
Merlin4

Using old plusnet hub for smart home devices

Hi, I've just taken delivery of a new Plusnet two hub and still have the original hub in working order. All my smart home devices are connected at 2.4GHz to the old hub. Can I connect the new hub 2 to the phoneline and somehow connect the old hub to hub 2 so that I don't have to reprogram all my smart devices? If so how do I connect the two hubs together? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Using old plusnet hub for smart home devices

@Merlin4 

Surely the easiest way would be to connect the Hub2, login to the Admin page and then change the WiFi SSID and password to that used by the Hub1.

Brian

Merlin4

Thanks Brian, I was thinking that the new hub didn't support 2.4GHz. Let me try and see. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Fix

@Merlin4 

It's dual band. The one thing you can't do is split the two bands - they share the same SSID & password.

Brian

Merlin4

Hi Brian, That worked well, everything switched over with no pain 🙂 Many thanks.

Next time I'll read the specs properly. Shame you can't split the bands but no big deal for me. Any idea why this capability was removed?

notcloud
Grafter

A work around is to turn off 5ghz set them up, then re-enable 5ghz. Trouble is that everytime you wish to add a new device, you would have to carry out the same procedure.

Its to do with that to set one up you have to be on the same ssid AND frequncy (2.4ghz). Once they are configured, they would just work. Exactly what happens with Belkin, TP Link kasa and all of the no name Chinese made bulbs and plugs I have at home, or so far anyway!