cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a mesh system with Plusnet

crisscross

Using a mesh system with Plusnet

I have a lot of trouble with my fibre Plusnet, from Broadband cutting off regularly to the wifi not reaching most of our house.

Plusnet and openreach are trying to sort the first part and I am wondering what to do about the second.

I've bought a cheap Tenda Mesh system which seems to work perfectly at reaching the far end of our property although I am not sure I have it set up to its full potential.

I simply plugged it into the plusnet hub and away it goes.

I have read that I should switch off the wifi on the plusnet router but I'm not sure

1. why?

2. how?

3. how easy it is to switch it back on if I mess it up!

I've also toyed with moving the master socket into a more convenient position and running a cable to a second router to act as a repeater but have no real idea how to do that and if it would be any better than the Mesh solution.

Any advice would be very gratefully received. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Re: Using a mesh system with Plusnet

Welcome to the forum.

@crisscross wrote:

I have read that I should switch off the wifi on the plusnet router but I'm not sure

1. why?

Because you won’t be using it.

2. how?

Log into the router by entering 192.168.1.254 into the address field of your web browser.

Select ‘Advanced Options’

Select Wireless.

Select Off.

3. how easy it is to switch it back on if I mess it up!

As above only select On

I've also toyed with moving the master socket into a more convenient position and running a cable to a second router to act as a repeater but have no real idea how to do that and if it would be any better than the Mesh solution.

The master socket and the cabling to it should only be moved by BT. You can’t use two routers on the same circuit. The second one has to be configured as an Access Point. If you really want to do something like this it would help if you described what you are trying to achieve in more detail.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bigshineybike
Dabbler

Re: Using a mesh system with Plusnet

Im looking at so many options at the moment sorry to hijack this.

I have plusnet hub one which drops out, Ive tried splitting the 2.4 and 5.

It looks like because we have more than 12 items connecting that could be one aspect of the problem.

I started looking at A mesh system but wondering if the Plus one would still limit how many devices are connected?

does mesh just give you more power or does it handle the devices as well?