cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a WIFI extender as an access point, no upload speed

rich34511

Using a WIFI extender as an access point, no upload speed

Im trying to use a TPlink wifi extender as an access point on my network. Download speeds are fine but I get no upload speed at all?

If I use the extender as an extender the download/upload speeds are fine (taking into account the obvious loss due to being an extender).

Any ideas why I get no upload speed at all?

11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Using a WIFI extender as an access point, no upload speed

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

This is a guess:-

Are you saying the up/down wired speeds via the the extender are OK, but the wifi speeds (via the extender) aren't?

Or perhaps the speeds at the main modem/router are unsatisfactory?

If your upload speed is truly zero, then downloads won't work.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rich34511

The speeds are ok in every situation, from the main router wired and wireless. It's ok from the extender when it extending the network. It's only if I use the extender as an access point, I.e when it is wired to the main router via ethernet and has its own ssid. I'm unable to connect to the extender when in the access point mode as it only has one ethernet port. When in this mode the download speed is fine 50 to 60 meg, but the upload speed is non existent 0.1 meg? As if the main router is blocking any incoming traffic from the extender?Huh
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I don't currently own any TP Link gear to test this theory, but recall an issue I sorted out for a mate a few years back.

He was using a BTHH5, which is the same as a PNH1.

I'm pretty sure it was a similar issue (as in okay one way but not the other). In his case he'd set the TP Link extender's IP address to 192.168.1.254 which is the same as the routers IP address.

I changed it to one of the others and his problem was solved.

It might be worth checking...?

If yours isn't 192.168.1.254 then I have no idea why you're seeing this Sad

rich34511

Ok, thank you. I believe I've given the extender a static IP different to that of the router but I'll check. Might go on tplink forum see if anyone on there has had a similar issue. Cheers
DS
Seasoned Champion

It's certainly worth checking Wink

I use a PNH1 as my primary router and a secondary BTHH (connected via powerline adapters, but still ethernet) upstairs. If you leave the secondary one on the same default of 192.168.1.254 and you try to access either, I've actually seen part of the hubs page with the blue BT background and the pink Plusnet background together!!

So my set up is similar - PNH1 via ethernet to BTHH whereas your using a TPL instead Wink

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Make sure that the extender has DHCP switched OFF;

so that your main router is in sole charge of IP address allocation.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@rich34511 wrote:

Im trying to use a TPlink wifi extender as an access point on my network. Download speeds are fine but I get no upload speed at all?

If I use the extender as an extender the download/upload speeds are fine (taking into account the obvious loss due to being an extender).

Can I clarify what you mean.

My assumption is that if you use it simply as a wireless extender then it works OK, that is, using it for its intended purpose.. However what you are trying to do is use it out of the wireless range of the router and inject the LAN signal into the extender's Ethernet socket over an Ethernet cable and use it as a Wireless Access Point?

If so, have you tried doing a factory reset on the Extender by pushing a paperclip or similar into the factory reset hole. Hold the switch depressed for at least 20 seconds.

I've used the wireless half of a Powerline pair on its own in this mode successfully but not an Extender.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rich34511

Hi, yes, I'm trying to use the extender as an access point connected via ethernet. I tried resetting the extender and I get the same result. Plenty of download speed, but virtually no upload speed at all. This obviously makes it unusable ! Thank you for your suggestions. I might have to use it as an extender. My issue with that is that the extender gives me "wrong password" issues. Might have a look at a different type of extender .
rich34511

Fixed! It wasn't the router or the extender! Would you believe the carpet fitters we had in recently had managed to put a screw through the ethernet cable!! Found the problem now everything is ok!
DS
Seasoned Champion

Glad to hear it!!

Good detective work too in locating it Wink