cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TG582n router with VLANs

JohnP2
Dabbler

Using TG582n router with VLANs

I am setting up a 3-4 VLAN on a Network for a heritage railway.  I want to offer visitors

WiFi connectivity  on one VLAN, Volunteers WiFi on another  with CCTV & other devices

connected to the 3rd.  So the visitors  can't connect or view things that they are not entitled to see.

I have purchased a TP-Link AP which can have 4  SSIDs and connect to the network via individual 

VLANs on a single network cable.  I have been donated a 24 port managed Layer 2 switch (Netgear). 

If i set up the 3-4 VLANs on the switch, with the AP connected a single port tagged for all the VLANs, what setting do

I need to enter on the TG582n to handle VLANs?     Also where  on the menu system can I find the settings?

What other settings do your recommend I should configure on the TG582n and the layer 2  switch?

Although I have now acquired a scrapped Cisco Catalyst 3750 (layer 3) switch which will give me more flexibility,

I plan to set of WiFi elsewhere with the layer 2 switch, so information above is important.   

What settings would you suggest for the 3750 & TG582n when using layer 3 switches.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Using TG582n router with VLANs

I don't recall seeing VLAN configuration in the GUI (I haven't looked for it so it might be) but I do know that, like so many other things, it is supported at the CLI - see page 352 of the reference guide for illustrative commands.

JohnP2
Dabbler

MJN

Thank you for your reply.  I hadn't realised there was a CLI on this ADSL router.

It had seemed so clunky and primitive when viewed through the GUI interface.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't recall seeing VLAN configuration in the GUI (I haven't looked for it so it might be) but I do know that, like so many other things, it is supported at the CLI - see page 352 of the reference guide for illustrative commands.

Does this mean that Demon is still a going concern?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

That wasn't really the intended message(!) but, yeah, it is still around and is now a part of Vodafone.