cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off wifi

Pallum

Turning off wifi

I mainly use Internet for pay tv. If I use an Ethernet cable to connect my pay tv.
to the wifi box will it automatically stop the rf signal?
I want to eliminate the rf radiation.
15 REPLIES 15
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Turning off wifi

No it will not.  You have to switch off WiFi on your router.  Some routers have a physical switch whilst for others it is done via the network interface.

Bear in mind that the signal from a WiFi device only has to be received elsewhere in your home whilst the signal from a mobile phone has to be strong enough to reach a mast that may be some miles away.  So mobile phones emit vastly stronger RF than any WiFi device.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @Pallum

Which router are you using? We may be able to offer further assistance on turning off the wifi on your router, if that's what you're wanting to do.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Pallum

Hi
I am using a technicolor TG582n
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@Pallum wrote:
I want to eliminate the rf radiation.

seriously?Huh

What about your neighbours WIFI? are you going to get them to disable theirs too?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I agree with the OP chenks, the less electromagnetic radiation in the air the better.

Yes the neighbours may be using wifi... but with one less wifi router in operation thats less EMR floating round in the air isn't it - and besides, for all you know the op may not have any close neighbours - they might be living on a farm!

So stop being so judgemental please chenky, if the op wants to turn it off then they want to turn it off - it's none of your concern!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
chenks76
All Star

no surprise that the usual member popped up here to take their usual dig.
i agree with ReedRichards thought that it a fruitless exercise.
7up
Community Veteran

I'm not popping up to have a dig as you put it, I'm making a point - regardless of what you think, if the op wants to turn off their WiFi they should be able to without you ridiculing them.

And yes I also agree about what Reed says about phone signals however they do not typically transmit billions of bits over the air, just enough to carry voice data unless the Internet is used and i would suspect the op keeps that turned off. The phones are also not in constant contact with the towers, sure they and the towers will make regular contact but it isn't an always on connection as the network couldn't handle it with thousands of phones in the area.
chenks76
All Star

why not coat the walls in tin foil while you're at it then.
jeez some people!
7up
Community Veteran

Why would I do that when its the op wanting to turn off the wifi? - And even if the op were to do that, if the wifi was turned on it would save them from nothing when in the same room.

Yeah I agree... some people eh? - You'd think they'd think through their ideas before someone else points out the short sightedness Wink

Pallum

I currently only switch on the wifi (at the plug socket) when needed. I genuinely get headaches when it is switched on.
As for the rest, I shall be using 'shielding paint' instead of tinfoil.
I feel that the full ramifications of the effects of the increasing amounts of domestic radiation will not be known for 20-30 years. Think of the ridicule that warnings of the danger of cigarette smoking once endured.
In France wifi is banned in nurseries and in Germany the authorities recommend switching it off when not in use.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Sounds like a psychosomatic response to me, you know there's WiFi turned on nearby so your body produces a sensation of pain based on the self-inflicted anxiety after reading the publications of claims made about electromagnetism generated by electrical devices, I'm sure if a study were done with people placed in a room with and without wifi, some told it was there but it's not, others told it's not there but it is, and control groups where it is there when stated, etc., the ones told it's there but isn't would probably get headaches or ill effects, without any source of EM radiation to cause them the issues claimed...

7up
Community Veteran

@Pallum wrote:
I feel that the full ramifications of the effects of the increasing amounts of domestic radiation will not be known for 20-30 years. 

+1

It's too early for anyone to say that it's completely safe. I think most people would accept that there is much we don't know about the universe and the safety of RF radiation being pulsed out billions of times a second through everything surrounding it, is one of them.

@twocvbloke wrote:

Sounds like a psychosomatic response to me

Maybe, maybe not. Until you experience something like that yourself or perform an experiment with a large base of participants you can't really pass judgement on someone elses health or the way they look after it. In the USA there are growing communities living around radio telescopes because its the only place they can live free from RF radiation - the telescopes have to be completely clear in order to listen to the signals from space.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

There have been many studies into psychosomatics, where people experience pain or illness and their doctors can't find anything physically wrong with them, and mysteriously become "better" when given a form of treatment like sugar pills or in more drastic cases, even just cut open & stitched back up...

I'd rather believe people who have done the work of studying such psychological behaviour over internet ramblings based on other internet ramblings, after all, we've had powerful radio waves blasting through us for well over a century, and as a species have flourished despite it...

SNAFU

Hey, 2 CV person, why would you bother about whether someone else wants to turn off their wifi? Each to their own, no? ... I mean, look at your choice of car .... Wink