cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring an e-mail address book

Hallstean
Dabbler

Transferring an e-mail address book

I have a new e-mail account in Outlook Express on my laptop. I would like to transfer (export) all the addresses on my other account which is still there into my new account but am stuck!
I have clicked on 'export' in the address book but can't understand what it's talking about. Does anyone have a simple solution, please? Is there something about shared contacts I can click on to achieve a transfer?
6 REPLIES 6
samuria
Grafter

Re: Transferring an e-mail address book

Not clear on what you mean. If you have an account in outlook and you then add a new account your old account will still be there so you should have both available to you. You can move emails etc around just like in explorer

Or have you got an account on a pc and then setup a new outlook on a laptop?
Hallstean
Dabbler

Thanks. My new e-mail account is on an iMac using Mail; but I am able to access it and use it on my laptop using Outlook Express. What I want to do is get the address book from the old e-mail account on to my new one. I hope there is an easier way that having to physically enter the details of each one again in the new e-mail account.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Assuming this is the right way round and you need to get your address book from OE to your Mail account.
First check the mail program on your IMac for ‘Import’ and see if it can import a ‘Text File in CSV (comma separated values)’ format to its address book.
If that passes ok then open Outlook Express, click ‘File’, ‘Export’ and select and click ‘Address Book’
In the box that opens select ‘Text File (Comma Separated Values) and click the [Export] button.
In the window that opens click the [Browse …] button and browse to where you want to save your address book file.
Give it a name in the ‘File name:’ box and click save to save the file.
Now copy this file to your IMac (could you use a pen drive?) and using the mail program import the file as CSV format text file and you should be home free.
Regards, P.
Hallstean
Dabbler

Sorry Mr. Pendragon, but I think I have confused you.
Forget about the Mac; I have both a new e-mail  account and an old one on my laptop, using Outlook Express. What I want to do is get all the addresses on the old account on to the new one without having to type them all in again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Copy the .wab file to the other computer replacing the existing one but changing the name to the same as the one you are replacing
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Or did you want to Merge them?