Re: Tomorrow is Firefox 3 day

But only 176,000 in the UK
bobp
cp:quote
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Not particularly referring to Opera, although I am just trying it out.
Firefox is good but I didn't see version 3 yet which is the best browser the web has ever seen, according to Mike Whitehead.... arguably
Undecided

Flock deserves to be much better known than it is: http://www.flock.com ; Wink
Regards .....
chillypenguin
Grafter

mod:note
Come on gentlemen, any chance of abiding by the link:rules, and not posting the entire of the preceding post.
Jonathan
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Barry
Currently just a shade over 5,000,000 downloads at around 9.00am.
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord shows a nice little interactive map, and a total just beneath Smiley
B.

Thanks Barry, it's now got up to nearly 6.5m. Do you know what the record is at present?
zubel
Community Veteran

There is no verified record as yet - Mozilla are trying to set the bar Smiley
B.
xpcomputers
Grafter

I'm guessing that there has been no noticeable peak in download traffic on PlusNet due to download day? 270,000 people downladed so far in UK, but of them PlusNet users seem to be in the minority... maybe?
Be interesting to see if there is any blip on the PlusNet traffic usage graphs.
SpreadFirefox.com certainly took a battering yesterday evening!
7.5 Million downlods at last look 30 mins ago. (There are many more from sites like download.com etc which won't be in that statistical count)
Spider
Grafter

Downloaded and installed it yesterday but my first attempt at the download was a failure. Although all the links said Firefox 3.0 it was the last release candidate that was downloaded. An hour later using the same route it was the correct software. I wonder how many of the downloads were for he wrong software? Could this be a bit of figure manipulation so boost numbers (ie double) or am I being too cynical?
Santiago
Grafter

As we were discussing Firefox and Opera there is an article in The Register commenting on the latest versions of both browsers
After months of public inactivity, Opera has been racing to release the latest version of its desktop browser. No guesses why. For the first time since 2003, Mozilla's FireFox looks like a modern browser, and not a skinnable memory heap testing tool.

Opera has long been the place where browser ideas are generated, only to be copied by Mozilla and Microsoft and later incorporated into their browsers years later. Well, the latency has shortened: one of the key innovations of 9.5, full history search from the address bar, has been pinched by FireFox.

Opera remains perhaps the meanest piece of consumer code in the world, with the wazoo optimized out of out it. And it's also the most helpful to an intelligent user: that usability remains streets ahead of the competition. Unlike the non-profit with the $500,000 a year CEO Opera knows that it has to sell on quality, not political correctness, or religion. So unlike some modern religious cults they still put people first.

Full article is here
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Quote from: Bob
My main gripe extension wise is that there are no plans to upgrade Google Browser Sync. Instead it looks like I'm going to have to switch to Weave (already installed on my work machine), or Foxmarks.

Thanks for that Bob, I signed up for Weave yesterday and it looks like they have closed it to new registrants today. So far looking what I need as foxmarks didn't do sych cookies as well as bookmarks.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
samuria
Grafter

If you downloaded it did you get a certificate to say you took part in a world record attempt? If not get one from
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/certificate_form
Interestingly I went on to my laptop to download it for that but it came up with version 3 when it started there was no indication that it was installing it just took ages to load. If its pushing it out that good then it will have a few downloads at 11:40 the download  is 9,256,851
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
As we were discussing Firefox and Opera there is an article in The Register commenting on the latest versions of both browsers
[SNIP]
Full article is here

Wow, whoever wrote that article is quite the Opera fanboy!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Seems the Register didn't find time to do any browsing - they got stuck on webmail.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
Wow, whoever wrote that article is quite the Opera fanboy!

Wasn't he just, seems like he just got fired from Mozilla
Quote from: axisofevil
Seems the Register didn't find time to do any browsing - they got stuck on webmail.

First impressions, I quite like the mail feature in Opera. I have my email accounts set up in either pop3 or Imap.
I don't like the mail filters and I don't like them in TB either. I like folders and rules! Yes I have been using Outlook for too long.
I know I am not judging Opera on such a tech basis as you guys but for me I think it is ok.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I love the filters used with Thunderbird, very handy for my few alias addresses - I have quite a complicated list of addresses and requirements! From a web developement PoV, I think it's safe to say the majority of people detest IE - standards compliance does not exist to them. Now, I just hope that their apparent move towards standards-mode as the default (Rather than quirks mode) will have true positive effects, and won't demolish any small IE hacks used (not that they should be used, but in some heavy PoC designs they need to be).
One thing I've never understood is, why are Microsoft still allowed to bundle Internet Explorer with the operating system?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is it April 1st - I have just seen the most amazing spoof (unless it's true) http://www.bbspot.com/News/2008/06/microsoft-abandons-internet-explorer-8.html
Monday, June 16 12:00 AM ET
Microsoft Abandons Internet Explorer 8 Development for Firefox 3