cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tomorrow is Firefox 3 day

pd
Grafter

Re: Tomorrow is Firefox 3 day

from mshapiro · 10:39, June 17th, 2008 · Firefox, Mozilla News Firefox 3 coming soon!
The outpouring of interest and enthusiasm around Firefox 3 has been overwhelming (literally!).  Our servers are currently feeling the burn and should be back to normal shortly.  Download day will officially commence once the site goes live.  The 24 hours period will be clocked from that moment.  Thanks for your continued support.

Looks like they've missed the 10:00 PDT deadline due to overload!!
Not applicable

artmo - might be that you have done the same thing as me (see above). I downloaded it from filehippo too this morning but as advised, on checking via Help/Release Notes I have the release candidate version so will have to download again.
Mozilla can't be accessed tonight - too busy but have just managed to get it from http://www.vnunet.com/articles/download/2170605 (link from the Computeractive forum/Internet section).
pd
Grafter

I think Mike has cracked it.   Grin
I have just downloaded and installed it - surprised how fast it is, and the about page definately says v3 - no mention of it be an RC version.  I think everyone is trying to get to mozilla.com which has overloaded their server.
Mike's link seems to go straight to a pool of mirror servers.  Mine came from .cz at about 630kbps.  I tried a second time just to see what server came up and it was one in .br (brazil).
Peter

[edit]  Forgot to say thankyou.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Glad it worked for you Smiley
You're right, that's a link direct from Mozilla. They have a selected pool of mirrors for each defined release, so it seems that too many people are going to www.spreadfirefox.com and www.getfirefox.com to find out what the link is.
I suggest that people do not download from various file-hosting websites, as it will not go towards the official record count (I can't confirm yet if the link I've provided does, but it's the official Mozilla link and follows the same URL scheme as previous versions, so I imagine it will).
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'd just like to confirm that the link I posted IS the correct link. The main Mozilla Foundation page for Firefox is here and it now shows the download for Fx3.
Enjoy the best browser the web has seen!
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yep, thanks for that Mike.  just downloaded it and you're right it is quick.  It was so quick I wondered if I'd done it right. Smiley
There is no mention of RC now so that's good.
Thanks again.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
Enjoy the best browser the web has seen!

Arguably
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

If you are referring to Opera being a contender, I refuse to acknowledge its existence until it can understand how to display CSS correctly - with some properties I've had even more hassle than I do with IE6! Tongue
cp:quote
Santiago
Grafter

Not particularly referring to Opera, although I am just trying it out.
Firefox is good but I didn't see version 3 yet which is the best browser the web has ever seen, according to Mike Whitehead.... arguably
Undecided

chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Does that mean that the eee cannot reuse space used by programs?

Yep!
Much in the same way that some PC have a recovery partition, the eee uses UnionFS. The difference being that you use the files in recovery ("System") partition, but they are read only. Any changes you make are saved in the "User" partition, and these override the copy in the "System" partition. The snag being that you can not (easily) recover the space.
So for example you update OpenOffice, and end up with two copies taking up disk space. Which as the eee uses a SSD disk is very limited. (4G on the model I have.)

A few more links from the eeeuser wiki;
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:makechangespermanent?s=unionfs
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:removeunionfs?s=unionfs
In layman's terms: The first partition is mounted read-only and the second partition is mounted “on top of it”. All changes you make are made on the second partition. This is safer but has the disadvantage that it is harder to tweak the parts of the system that are used while booting the system (e.g. the grub menu). Additionally you cannot recover space from the first partition by uninstalling packages (and actually if you update a package (e.g. skype) you have two copies on your system, the original one on the first partition and the new version on the second one (which shadows the original one)).

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm begining to regret the upgrade to V3. The main problem is with my home page. I like those ajax things with panes for various news feeds. After trying a few I like live.com the best but FF3 wont open the tabs rendering it useless.
I'm seriously considering rolling back to V2 . I'm sure it will be fixwed ina few weeks time

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

I'm not having any issues with iGoogle, Gmail or www.bbc.co.uk which I think are examples of what you are saying?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
artmo
Aspiring Champion

same here - no problems.  My first impression is good but I need to have a closer look at it later.  Also I was lucky that all my add-ons worked  Smiley
Has anyone heard the total number of downloads achieved?
cp:quote
zubel
Community Veteran

Currently just a shade over 5,000,000 downloads at around 9.00am.
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord shows a nice little interactive map, and a total just beneath Smiley
B.
pd
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Has anyone heard the total number of downloads achieved?

Hit the 5 million mark at 0855 BST
Counter