Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird update fail

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thunderbird update fail

Running Windows 7 Professional, NEW INSTALL last weekend... running Thunderbird,...( same thing ... new install last weekend )... for the past 4 days, I have been getting a message across the screen, that the latest "update" for Thunderbird has failed.... and I should restart Thunderbird to try again.

I have Thunderbird running all day long... so I close it down at night, and then restart it in the morning..

The failure message only appears late in the evening.. ( near to 11 pm ).

If I downloaded a new copy of Thunderbird, will trying to install it, cover the update?   Will it destroy the current emails on the hard drive... and will it destroy the address book, by trying to install a new copy over the old one....?

7 REPLIES 7
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Thunderbird update fail

Have you tried this?

Might be a good to backup your user profile first.

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@TheRoadCrew  Thanks for the linky....    Have tried the "run as administrator" suggestion from the start menu... will leave it running today and see if that fixes it.  then go from there.

cheers

Wink

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Many email programs can be uninstalled and re-installed leaving the existing messages and address book intact.  Even the email account details may remain, typically minus the password which needs to be re-entered.  I don't think I have ever tried this with Thunderbird but it would be a let-down if it was not capable of doing the same.  

shutter
Community Veteran

Update.....

Have not seen any more messages about update ( failure )... or otherwise.... so am assuming that the "run as aministrator"  has done the job..

Thanks guys.

Wink

Luzern
Hero

@shutter Is the TB properties showing file version 52.8.0.6710 now? That's mine modified 23/5.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... my "About Mozilla Thunderbird" window is showing 38.5.0    (JUST OPENED AND "LOGGED IN" )

Update failed....  Download the latest version

You are currently on the release update channel

So I clicked on the "download"  and it shows as version 52.8.0    so not sure where I got the 38.5.0 version from ! ! ! ... no wonder the update failed ! ! !>..

will see what happens with the new download./install ...............>

OK..... done the install, and,....... All my address book, and all my previous emails, have been saved and installed into the updated version.... now showing version 52.8.0

(no need to save the "profiles" folder...  {but I did,.... just in case ! ! ! }  )

Thanks for the "heads up" on the version number.....   Appreciated. Wink

Luzern
Hero

BTW For profiles Mozbackup is still useful for Firefox Thu'bird, and I think their offshoots.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.