Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 v7 router configuration for FTP Server. Which Ports to forward

WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Thomson TG585 v7 router configuration for FTP Server. Which Ports to forward

Team,
I have been battling with this for a while now.
I have a Windows Home Server 2011 machine sitting behind the above router. I have forwarded the relevant ports to get most of what I want working. For example I can remote desktop to the server from outside the LAN. I have configured DNS so that I can use a internet name and this works fine for Remote Desktop.
I want to use the WHS 2011 box as a FTP server, so using IIS on the windows server I have configured this. I have also forwarded ports 20 and 21 by adding these in the Game and Application list on the router.
No luck. So I specified ports 5000-5009 on the IIS config so that these would be used in passive mode and forwarded these too. No luck.
I have enabled logging and an attempt to connect to the ftp server from outside the network appears to be succesful as theis is the entry in the log file.
FIREWALL rule : Protocol: TCP Src ip: 195.171.207.85 Src port: 37663 Dst ip: 192.168.1.68 Dst port: 21 Chain: forward_host_service Rule Id: 5 Action: accept
So port 21 appears to be correctly forwarded.
However at the client side it fails to connect either in passive or non passive mode.
(500 Connection timed out (Winsock error #10060))
I am sure I read when I was doing some digging on this that there is limitation on the router itself which means that for ftp forwarding it forwards internally!! Really?
Any other pointers would be useful.
Oh I did chat with support at PlusNet and they said "We don't support port fowarding, you will get help from the forum" so here I am!
AJ

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 router configuration for FTP Server. Which Ports to forward

Hi, you need to unbind the internal FTP server in the TG585  to use an external one ( as well as the port forward! ).
See here http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html the sectiion towards the bottom of the page 'Unbind the FTP ALG -- Fix access problem to a local FTP server from the internet'.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 router configuration for FTP Server. Which Ports to forward

Thanks for the useful link. That will be a useful link to file away.
However, I have just tried that and I am still getting the same error.
Here is the current bind list.
Application  Proto Portrange  Flags
IP6TO4      6to4  0
PPTP        tcp  1723
ESP          esp  0
IKE          udp  500
SIP          udp  5060        SIP_ALG:E RTP_predict_for_term_SIP_ALG:E
CU/SeeMe    udp  7648
RAUDIO(PNA)  tcp  7070
RTSP        tcp  554
ILS          tcp  389
ILS          tcp  1002
H323        tcp  1720
IRC          tcp  6660-6669
JABBER      tcp  5222
JABBER      tcp  15222
GAME(UDP)    udp  27010-27011
LOOSE(UDP)  udp  67
LOOSE(UDP)  udp  69

FTP was listed there and now it's not.
Does the router need to be booted after doing a saveall?
AJ
WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

I have checked and rechecked the port forwarding but using
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
reports that port 21 is closed.
If I do the same for the Remote Desktop Port 3389 this comes back as open.
I am going to look at the server side of things now as the security log on the router is reporting that it's successfully forwarding port 21
I assume using the site above will report the port closed even if the router forwards but the server refuses?
AJ

WatchBatterycou
Dabbler

Okay, got this to work by adding an additional rule to the Windows Home Server Firewall.
Despite the default Windows Firewall rule for inbound traffic "FTP Server" being explicitly enabled, it wasn't until I enabled a custom port forward of both ports 20 and 21 that it worked.
Thanks for the heads up on the Unbind FTP ALG, I am sure that was needed as well.
The port checker link I posted earlier helped too.
Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Glad you got it working.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.