Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The usual GNOME annoyances

Waldo
Grafter

Re: The usual GNOME annoyances

Quote from: Hairy
Still this time I can remove the 3 other OS's I haven't used in the last 5 months since moving to Mint 13 Mate. But I will probably install a test machine in/over one of them to trial it before I jump.

Mint 14 Release Candidates (MATE & Cinnamon) are available for download now if you fancy testing one or t'other.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Waldo
I think it's being tested for inclusion as the default file manager in Mint 14 / Cinnamon (expected by the end of the month).

Had a quick play with Mint 14 RC and Nemo has indeed replaced Nautilus.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I installed Mate edition. Some major bits missing, like jockey, maybe they expect you to use the vanilla driver?
Waldo
Grafter

mint@mint ~ $ apt-cache show jockey-gtk
Package: jockey-gtk
[...]
Depends: software-properties-gtk
Filename: pool/universe/j/jockey/jockey-gtk_0.9.7-0ubuntu11_all.deb
Size: 3158
MD5sum: e5bed1fc81f86009bad2e98aa0e6d7fd
SHA1: 07ccb41461caa6f8fad302e2f564b5ad66da7d72
SHA256: c59549cc1641613056ea519cd96f1dafcbf4ca0ca3d3cb0aead7dabae19d3a50
Description-en: transitional package for driver management GUI
Jockey GTK has been superseded by software-properties, which now handles
third-party driver configuration.
You can safely remove this transitional package after upgrading.

Looks like a tab in Software Sources replaces Jockey.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well it doesn't pop-up automatically like jockey used to, so not user friendly  Angry
I just installed jockey and used that  Wink
Its probably in the release notes, but who reads them? Esp when you are upgrading.  Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What is Jockey?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

It's the applet that pops up asking if you want to install additional drivers like video card ones etc.
Well, just went to boot my new Mint 14 Mate setup ... got a desktop, the awn panel at the bottom and nowt else, no top panel etc.
Installed new cinnamon version as well as it was getting good reviews. Installed over my previous cinnamon install - result no desktop apart from the wallpaper.
Think I will stick with Maya for now  Undecided
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Right - but if I want it, I can run it from the preferences selection.
It overs 5 different nVidia drivers - or I can just run with the default (as I do)
Gallium 0.4 on NV46

The generic one works OK - even for full-screen HD video (but is probably rubbish if I was to play video games).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I found it wouldn't play World of Goo, so that was why I switched last time.
stealthbanana

I gave up on Gnome3 and especially it's idiot offspring Unity (advertising to your desktop, on a Linux system, I ask you).  They seem to be massive steps backward in usability.  Anything that increases the number of clicks to do basic tasks is a step backwards, no matter how many willing design and ergonomic graduates you get on board.  I have switched back to KDE and also occasionally MATE (though the apparent abandonment of AWN launcher bar so it will not even compile on debian based systems has soured it a bit). 
I dropped KDE when it moved to KDE4, and they even said that it would not be properly stable for a wee while, but now on the KDE4.9 cycle it has become near enough perfect, as Lius himself enthused when he tried it, "I have my wobbly windows back."  It is very very customisable, with some powerful features.  The 'Activities' feature lets you chnge the entire layout of the tesktop at a click, from traditional desktop, to a plasma KDE enhanced, to photo-viewing, a windows 8(haha) view etc.
If you cannot get on with the new Gnome, Unity etc, give KDE a try.  But be warned, there is so much you can play with, it may feel a wee bit daunting at first.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
Well, just went to boot my new Mint 14 Mate setup ... got a desktop, the awn panel at the bottom and nowt else, no top panel etc.
Installed new cinnamon version as well as it was getting good reviews. Installed over my previous cinnamon install - result no desktop apart from the wallpaper.

Looks like the stable release is hitting the mirrors now.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I had installed compiz which installed compiz-unity, then set it to the default session - result no mate-panel etc. To fix - when at the mdm choose session and Mate and all is well.
Still not decided whether to upgrade yet, nothing show stopping or must have so may just leave it for another 6 months.