Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n - Viewing currently attached devices

id2d
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582n - Viewing currently attached devices

Hi
I setup my router a few hours ago. Because I want to see at a glance what devices are connected to the router, I assigned everything connected a name.
Now when I go to Home > Home Network > Devices,
I see...

Local Network Devices
Detected Device(s)
The table below contains the list of devices the Technicolor Gateway detected on your local network. Click on a device name to get more information on a device.

But what it shows isn't currently attached devices, it shows devices that have been switched off hours ago.
Is there any way to see what's actually connected right now?
12 REPLIES 12
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Technicolor TG582n - Viewing currently attached devices

don't they change colour when there active ?
my Technicolor only got used for a few days before it went back in the box and that was a couple of years ago so my memory's a little fuzzy about exactly how it operates
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
id2d
Dabbler

Ahah - I see it now! There's a tiny green tick at the bottom.

The only thing stopping me feeling like an idiot is that plusnet have made one of the most difficult to see interfaces I've ever seen. They're not going to win any awards for accessibility.
dick:quote
nanotm
Pro

well its a free router so its never going to be top of the line, and its probably perfect for the majority of users, it didn't suit my needs though so I opted for buying something that does, at least plusnet doesn't actively block users from doing this although its a good idea to hold onto the supplied router in case of any problems in the future should you choose to buy something better
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@id2d
Hi, Welcome to the forum.
I think you'll find that particular aspect of the firmware runs throughout all Thomsons customised firmware Wink
If it's the 10.2.5.2. firmware you are running then you might find the following two commands handy -
http://192.168.1.254/WIFI_Analyzer.lp   &
http://192.168.1.254/wlan_device.lp
id2d
Dabbler

Hi
Yes I know it's Technicolor's fault as well. But a big part of it is them adopting plusnet's gray on gray branding.
My router is running 10.2.2.B and if I'm reading the firmware download page correctly, that's the latest version for my USB-less model.
Anotherone
Champion

I'm afraid it is. It is a pretty good stable version for the non-USB model though.
id2d
Dabbler

Argh!
The router just froze on me for no reason. When internet stopped, went to router admin and took 10 mins to load the almost same amount of time to reboot.
Tempted to try a never-used TalkTalk d-link 3780 I have, but not sure if it'd be much better.

Edit. Got censored by the forum. That's considered a swear word! really!?
nanotm
Pro

I'm going to make a guess that you have a lot of things listed under the "connected devices" page
no the stalk-stalk offering wont be any use as it will be locked  to their network settings, your options are get a secondary router that will provide wifi based dhcp service to one group of devices whilst the tg582 will provide dhcp to a smaller wired group on a separate network setting, something like the buffalo airport (sub £20) would work
this would limit the connected devices list to under 10 on the tg582n, and should prevent it from freezing up
your other option is to get a router designed for the number of devices your trying to connect to it, personally I went for option 2 and got a billion 7800dx (but that's a pricier option) which I only need to reboot once a month to stop it doing odd things Smiley
id2d
Dabbler

Hi
No. Only 2 things were connected when it froze up, and one of those was a laptop that was probably sleeping.
Doing a search for the TalkTalk router, it seems you only have to click "Advanced" to drop into the proper D-Link interface, but don't know if it's still locked up down there. Will need to search more see if it looks like it's worth the effort.
Anotherone
Champion

Was there a large download or upload going on at the time it froze?
id2d
Dabbler

Nope. Just general web browsing.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The plusnet router is not know for locking up, it may be faulty in which case I would expect PN to replace it.
They've just brought out a new router which you may persuade them to exchange it for.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135846.0.html
I'm using a talk talk HG635 router on my plusnet fibre connection, that's not locked so it's worth trying your TT router.