cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teamviewer (remote assist app) no longer working

markv
Rising Star

Teamviewer (remote assist app) no longer working

Have you auto-updated the firewall rules? I (Plusnet fttc customer with Draytek Vigor 2860) can no longer do a remote assist (using Teamviewer) to a friend (Plusnet ADSL customer with Plusnet router).

Has worked for years but stopped a week or so ago. We can both start Teamviewer, both get a message sayig Teamviewer is online. But I can't connent to them - unhelpful 'Connection failed'. This has worked flawlessly for many years. Nothing changed at either end except possibly Windows updates and/or you updating the firmware on the Plusnet router (SW rel 10.2.2.B, EH, 1.05).

19 REPLIES 19
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Teamviewer (remote assist app) no longer working

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@markv 

@Gel suggestion..... google "Windows Easy Connect"... it is not the same as  the microsoft App  "easy connect"  from the microsoft store.

markv
Rising Star

Microsoft now specify Quick Assist, not Easy Connect, so I tried that. It was just as unssuccessful as TeamViewer, and failed with the error "An error has occurred.  We’ve run into a problem. An error has caused screen sharing to end or we cannot establish a connection. Please close Quick Assist and try again later."

More interestingly, I found that my friend can make a TeamViewer connection to me, although I can't make a Teamviewer connection to them. A few weeks ago, I could connect to them so something has changed.

This really sounds like a Firewall issue to me, reinforcing my original question.

As far as I can see, the routers built-in firewall can't be configured, or even switched off (as a test).

So... Plusnet, have you remotely changed anything? Didn't mention in my OP, the 'Product ref' of the router is 3701603C, Board DANT-T.

Thanks.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't you need to do some port-forwarding or uPnP?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Gateway_Device_Protocol

We always used to use VNC many years ago - it still works on Windows/Mac/Linux.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

markv
Rising Star

Thanks for that...

Sorry to keep repeating my original question, but Teamviewer remote assistance has been working flawlessly for years. I haven't changed anything. Now it's not working.

It may well be that Plusnet have silently rolled out an update to their router which now requires me to make changes, or open ports or something.

Don't have a problem with that but I need to hear from Plusnet if they have made changes, and what those changes are.

Also I haven't yet found how to do detailed configuration of the Plusnet/Technicolor router's firewall settings - is that possible?

Slightly hampered because I can only look at router settings when I'm visiting my friend (because I can no longer do remote assistance...!)

The fact that my friend can open a remote assist connection to me, but I can't open one to them surely suggests a restriction at their end, rather than a need to use a different remote assist app?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The default is to block all unrequested requests and allow all outgoing requests - although Plusnet have a bolt-on firewall that blocks certain ports (I have it switched off) - perhaps that's the culprit?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I'm using Teamview ok to my PN connection without any issue, as you have been using it for years.

So I don't believe this is a PN wide issue.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markv
Rising Star

Great to hear Teamviewer is still working for you. Can you tell me what version you have, in particular at the end that is being controlled.

I did wonder if the update to TeamViewer v14 was a factor, but as the built-in Windows Quick Assist also fails to connect suggests it isn't the remote assist app itself.

Thanks.

dvorak

I'm using 13.24 on my machines
Customer / Moderator
markv
Rising Star

Thanks. I tested with 12, 13 and 14 and none connected. Same fault on a wired desktop PC and a wireless laptop. That seems to pretty much nail down the Plusnet router as the source of the fault.

Reset didn't help.

Was fine ~ 2 weeks ago 😞

Now waiting for delivery of a Draytek Vigor 27xx

frank121
Dabbler

Hello Mark V,

I am wondering if you fixed this? I have had the same issue after switching to plusnet in October. All the settings appear to be off in my profile. (firewall and safe surf)

If I change my DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 then teamviewer connects fine, so it does appear to be that plusnet are blocking this.

Thanks.

Frank

dvorak

Sounds like a safeguard issue if changing the DNS impacts it - do you have safeguard enabled?
Customer / Moderator
frank121
Dabbler

Do you mean safe surf? If so, no it's off. (see attached) Thank you.
markv
Rising Star

Hi frank121,

Now that is interesting...

When I replaced the Plusnet ADSL router with the Draytek Vigor 2762, Teamviewer immediately started working again.

But... the Vigor is using the Plusnet default DNS (212.159.6.9 and 6.10).

So for me, it seems to be something configured, or built-in to the Plusnet router that is causing the block.

If I have time on my hands, I'll reinstate the Technicolor router and change the DNS... but I can't see that happening any time soon. But if I do, I will report back...

Mark