Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team Viewer

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Team Viewer

Hi,  I am working from home on my personal macbook, no problems with my current network connections.  My work want me to download team viewer and use that.  I am not sure about this, for one thing I don't think it's free for work use and also I'm worried about how much others will be able to gain access to my files on my laptop.  I'm not techy at all so sorry if this sounds like a stupid concern.  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Team Viewer

it's not free for commercial use. I have used it in the past and it's fine, certainly secure enough that you needn't worry about people that don't have the device id and passcode accessing stuff.

but the question is why do they want you to use it? if it was to access to your machine at the office that's understadable - I certainly wouldn't be installing it on a personal device for work to access it though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
southken
Rising Star

Hi dvorak and thanks for your reply.  I've been asked to install it, run it and give the IT guy at head office the details so that he can connect.  It doesn't feel right to me when it's my own personal computer and not a work laptop that some people have been given.

dvorak

is it to install a vpn or some such thing?

if they insist you could create a guest user with limited access so they can't see anything.
Customer / Moderator
southken
Rising Star

Yes, it's a new VPN connector.  I'm currently connecting via a browser with no problems at all, but this is supposed to be 'more robust and stable'.

dvorak

you'll be able to watch what they do, so you could install it, shut everything down and give them access and see what they're up to and then uninstall.

surprised they can't email you instructions.
Customer / Moderator
southken
Rising Star

Hi dvorak, just an update - I've been told by the IT  guy that I can carry on connecting via the browser as that is working fine for me.  I think some people have been having problems connecting so they are trying the teamviewer.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@dvorak What if the O.P. . downloaded and installed Linux Mint ?   and dual booted that.. then installed  Team Viewer ?  and worked on Linux ......

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@southken If it was my personal laptop, work wouldn't even get anywhere near it. Same with my personal phone. If they want you to work from home IT should really be providing the equipment. The legal side sounds ambiguous too i.e. data protection etc.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
southken
Rising Star

Yes, totally agree idonno.  I am using my laptop and connecting via a browser, because if I didn't I couldn't do the job at home and I'm fine with that.  I've got a works phone so that's ok.  But that is as far as I'm going to go.