Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV as monitor?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

TV as monitor?

Hi all
Upstairs i have a semi dead 32" flatscreen TV. I say semi dead.. the sound is fubar due to some electrolytic caps that need replacing (known problem for the model). The picture however is fine.
Now my old dual monitor setup went when i got this PC as it's a slimline unit and i can't get a dual monitor card in there. I do still have the old pc / dual monitors but no space to use it (or ability to cope with its noise lol).
So.. can i use this 32" TV as a large monitor with a super high resolution / ability to have multiple windows open like several monitors? I know it would look a bit stupid but i have been struggling to get anything done on one single monitor for ages.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
26 REPLIES 26
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: TV as monitor?

Do you know the resolution the TV can handle? It's possible to do it, but the refresh rate and resolution may actually make it hard to look at for long periods.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
7up
Community Veteran

Nope not a clue!
I'll dig out the model number / destructions for it..
Mav
Fixes: 514

I have connected the laptop (1920x1080) to the 42" Plasma (same resolution)  to watch films/Blu-ray and decided to see how much better the large screen would be in use but, possibly because the TV was wall-mounted, I found it uncomfortable.  Having said that, the desktop was clear but no more actual space than on the laptop's screen.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

picbits
Rising Star

Chances are  your 32" screen is a 1366 x 768 panel so as long as it supports that resolution through its HDMI (or VGA) input you should have a reasonable picture.
Often they won't support native resolution through the PC input and will look rather "blocky" - best thing to do is give it a go and see what happens.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think the only way to find out is to try it. What sort of inputs does it have and what video outputs does your PC have?
I do know from trying to use a 32" TV as a monitor, trying both VGA and HDMI inputs, there are unexpected restrictions and "misbehaviour" meaning that the expected resolutions often can't be used.  Cry
7up
Community Veteran

Hi guys
Well from a few of your comments here it seems a bit pointless me trying it so I've decided not to bother with it lol. I might instead try and find some other alternative such as usb -> vga or something and bring my old monitors back out...
Thanks guys
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

most TV's have a pc input port for the last decade or so, if its DVI-d or better then it should be able to support HD resolutions, it might even have a "PC mode", my tv is 6 years old and its a 1080p model running at 100hz, plugged in the HDMI connector and it looks great for gaming Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Advice:
Quote from: DomS
best thing to do is give it a go and see what happens.

Quote from: HPsauce
I think the only way to find out is to try it.

Conclusion ?!?
Quote from: 7up
Well from a few of your comments here it seems a bit pointless me trying it so I've decided not to bother with it lol.

Wise saying:
There's no harm in trying
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

On the basis that it is a TV, it is likely to be 1920x1080 with a possibility of 1080p at best. However, splitting that into separate windows will result in much lower resolutions for reasonable sizes Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
Wise saying:
There's no harm in trying

True however with people saying the refresh rate and resolution probably won't be up to the job and the TV being an older / earlier flatscreen, it seems pointless me splashing out cash to try it when i don't have any income.
That ok with you ReedRichards?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Fine by me, but I don't understand what cash is required.  You have the old TV, you have the computer, you must have a VGA cable so I can only assume that you need another sort of cable (HDMI ?) and have not got one. 
chrcoluk
Grafter

if it has either a vga, dvi or hdmi input probably yes.
However it may work suboptimal, as tv's may not be designed for quick response times, anti lag etc.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
Fine by me, but I don't understand what cash is required.  You have the old TV, you have the computer, you must have a VGA cable so I can only assume that you need another sort of cable (HDMI ?) and have not got one. 

I have no HDMI output on my PC. Therefore I will need an additional slimline graphics card.
Should have thought of that really with your supreme intelligence Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does the main tv have a DLNA function?
I can serve video to my 32" television from my PC via ethernet and get a better picture than playing the same video on a 24" monitor.
I don't know why this should be so, since both devices are 1080 x 1920.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."