Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TMS files.

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

TMS files.

I have now have some VHS videos that have been saved as .tms files but my computer will not open them (unless I use an ArcSoft programme which I have) - but neither can anybody else I send the .tms file/s it to I guess.

Any tips on how I might open these. I have seen some free downloads but as always they come bundled with all sorts of other poop so maybe I'll need to buy a programme (they seem cheap enough) that will come without such unwanted additions.

Any help, advice or tips much appreciated guys. Cheers.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
12 REPLIES 12
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: TMS files.

Fix
you'll need to convert them to a more common format - be it MP4 or MKV.
try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hly5FCOfUz4
Minivanman
Legend

Thanks, will give that a go. Wink

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Found that video confusing but  guess that's just me but anyway, you were right about converting it to a more common format and after a bit of investigating on the ArcSoft programme I originally saved it with, I found a transfer and then edit function (and one not explained about in the instructions as far as I could see) that gave me the option of saving it to DVD, various formats such as MP4, or uploading it direct to YouTube.

Have now managed to save it as an MP4 and it now opens and I'm guessing I'll be able to send as an email attachment.

Thanks for you time Thumbs_Up

Herman Melville
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Don't know how big the MP4 file is, @Minivanman, but you might find it's a bit big to send as an email attachment.

John
Minivanman
Legend

Indeed it is and it took about an hour to convert so it looks like I will have to save them to a DVD or similar. Are other formats better than MP4 I'm wondering. 

Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman - You could look at compressing your MP4 to a smaller scale or have a look at the WMV file format.

Edit - Oops sorry, @chenks76 is right, don't even know why I typed that in the first place!

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

FLV??? good god no!!
if you want to keep the quality the same then you'll probably not make the file any smaller.
MP4 h264 is already pretty good for quality/size, so doubt you'll get it any smaller without affecting quality.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Depending on what the current resolution/bitrates are and the intended device for viewing you may be able to use Handbrake to reduce the file size further. There are various presets for differing devices/resolutions.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, Handbrake is a good choice @Mav I use it on the Mac to rip DVDs to my media server and I can as you say save them for in a resolution compatible with the target device(s), in my case iPad and Normal.

Minivanman
Legend

Surely and quality apart file size reduction is only an issue if you want to send it as an attachment to an email?

Most computers can store large files quite easily I imagine. Anyway, the ones I have now managed to save as an MP4 I can just as easily stick on an SD card or a memory stick and send it the old fashioned way!

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated.

Herman Melville
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When you did your conversion to MP4, you should use the maximum file size you can bear. This will retain the maximum quality. If you are going to edit them then you can always take the final version and apply a moderate reduction in size. But aim for around 1GB per hour of video, if possible.

I use HandBrake (available for Linux & Windows). My usual settings for H264/AAC are generally  2000kbps (video) and 160kbps (audio). The output is highly compressed & to reduce the size you have to throw information away.

Buy a cheapish USB key.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Legend

The save option give me three choices - standard, high, and low. I've found standard works and replays well enough and not much different from the high quality save which took ages to a convert and at around 4gb used about three times as much memory.

Took your tip and have just received three 8gb 'Cruzer Blade' Sandisk USB sticks from Amazon @ £8 for the three including postage. Their next day delivery is just amazing!

Herman Melville