Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582 as Wireless Access Point

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

TG582 as Wireless Access Point

There's an old thread on this subject here:

http://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Can-the-Technicolor-TG582n-be-set-up-as-a-repeater/m-p/9...

I'd like a wireless access point in the garage which is at the bottom of the garden out of range of my Hub6. I happen to have the old Plusnet TG582 and I already have a wired link to the garage so thought I'd try it.

Set up broadly as the article - DHCP server off and set to an IP outside the Hub6 DHCP range, connected to Hub6 via ethernet to port 1 on TG582. It broadly works serving DHCP from the Hub6 except that there is no Internet access from the TG582 via either ethernet or Wifi. Also the Internet served by the Hub6 becomes either intermittent or fails when the TG582 is connected.

Others seem to have had it working in the past. Any clues? Otherwise I'll just have to (sigh) buy a WAP ;(.

Thanks

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: TG582 as Wireless Access Point

@quelquod 

You are not plugging the Ethernet cable into the port allocated for WAN? Have you tried a different port?

What IP address have you used, presumably one in the range 192.168.1.0  to 192.168.1.63?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

quelquod
Pro

Thanks,

No, the WAN. Port (port 4) is easily identified by its red flag. I did try it experimentally but it didn’t make any connection to the Hub6. I’ve tried the Hub to TG582 link in various ports 1-3 with identical results. Direct comms with the TG582 are fine from anywhere on the network.

TG582 IP is set to 192.168.1.10 which is outside the Hub6’s DHCP range. No other fixed IP devices on that address.

With the exception of the internet (quite a major exception of course) the WAP works fine (albeit only on 2.5GHz band of course but that’s ok).

It’s rather as though the TG582 is still trying to route to its own non-existent internet connection rather than forwarding requests to the Hub6 although it passes DHCP and LAN comms OK. A bit of a puzzle why it also interferes with the Hub6’s internet traffic (PCs connected directly to the Hub6 report no internet connection) though presumably another aspect of the same issue.

there are a few web links all suggesting that this setup should be OK so a bit stumped.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Are you absolutely sure the the dhcp server is disabled on the tg582 ?

What address are clients getting as the default gateway ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

quelquod
Pro

Thanks for the input.

So I’ve double-checked that the TG582 has DHPC turned off. Connections to the TG582 are in the Hub6 DHPC range and generally reclaim the IP address they have had when connected directly to it. They’re also listed on the Hub6 connected devices list so I’m quite sure they’re correctly obtaining their IP address from the Hub6. They all get the Hub6 as their gateway. However any device connected via the TH582 does not get internet. Also connecting the TG582 to the Hub6 disrupts the latter’s internet connection. It’s possible of course that it’s that disruption which causes all the problems. I’ve tried a few different static IPs for the TG582 with no difference.

So I’m stuck. Maybe the TG582 has a fault? Anyway I’ll just forget it and buy a new WAP. I was just hoping to get something done quickly and cheaply ;).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

. Also connecting the TG582 to the Hub6 disrupts the latter’s internet connection. It’s possible of course that it’s that disruption which causes all the problems. 

That's odd! Does it actually cause the hub6 internet connection to drop or is it that clients lose internet connection?

If it's the latter then my guess would be that the tg582 ip address hasn't changed from its default 192.1681.254. This would mean that even though clients are getting that address ( of the hub6) as the gateway, their internet traffic is going to the tg582.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

quelquod
Pro

Can’t tell really though the Hub6 still reports that it is connected so I think it’s just that the clients can’t connect to it. I can connect to the TG582 on 192.168.1.10 so it’s IP change seems solid enough and the Hub6 is reliably contacted on 254. As I said earlier I’ve rather concluded that the TG582 is playing up. Ah well!😣

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That does seem to show that the IPs are correct. I suppose the tg582 could be faulty. I've used one successfully in the past as a wap but I suspect it was the adsl version rather than the fttc one with a wan port. I wonder whether there something odd in the fttc config. The hardware for the adsl/fttc versions are the same and at least one version of the firmware allowed you to select adsl/fttc on setup. If you have that version then it may be worth trying a factory reset, select adsl and THEN do the wap config.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Might be worth checking if a device plugged into the TG582 via ethernet works properly - if it does so, it would rule out any IP configuration problem...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

quelquod
Pro

@VileReynard  The IP config all seems OK

@ I noted your comment about ADSL and changed the TG582 setup to ADSL (10.2.5.2 allows this) and the interference with internet connections on the Hub6 have been sorted. Seems that there is some sort of problem using it as a WAP in FTTY mode. Small step forwards.

Next I note that the internet via WAP problem seems to be lack of DNS resolution. If I ping eg Google by its IP address it replies OK but if I ping 'google.com' it doesn't resolve properly and I get 'pinging google.com (192.18.1.82)' which is nonsense. My LAN is on 192.168.1.255 as usual so no idea where this resolution comes from. I tried setting the PC on the WAP to DNS at 8.8.8.8 but that didn't change anything.

Still - small steps. Hate being stuck with techy problems. Wink

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Next I note that the internet via WAP problem seems to be lack of DNS resolution. If I ping eg Google by its IP address it replies OK but if I ping 'google.com' it doesn't resolve properly and I get 'pinging google.com (192.18.1.82)' which is nonsense. My LAN is on 192.168.1.255 as usual so no idea where this resolution comes from. I tried setting the PC on the WAP to DNS at 8.8.8.8 but that didn't change anything.

Still - small steps. Hate being stuck with techy problems. Wink

That sounds like the dns cache in the tg582 is still being used.

I dont see how setting a fixed dns server on the pc doesn't work though!!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

To use DNS you would would need to contact an internet server - hopefully via the Hub 6. Are the DNS entries in the TG582 the same as the Hub6?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

quelquod
Pro

Don’t know. But the TG582 doesn’t have an internet connection so it doesn’t really matter surely? And in any case I’m using 8.8.8.8 which should be passed straight back through the Hub6. As above, pinging an IP address directly seems to pass through OK so ???. I’m not getting this fault at all. And the curious attempt at DNS resolution has me stumped (seems to be Oracle FWIW) but nonsensical.

quelquod
Pro

But anyway, just to explore all options, I checked and the TG582 is set to the same primary/secondary DNS servers as the Hub6.

Rats - I'm just going to call it a day. 😠