Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synology NAS Problem

FIXED
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Synology NAS Problem

I had a firmware update on my AV receiver which required a restart.

I followed instructions and switched off the mains and back on again.

Unfortunately my Synology NAS was on the same power block and lost power momentarily Embarrassed

When the NAS was back up and running I couldn't access the admin page and accessing its drives across the network was very slow.

Reading about the problem suggested that a soft reset was required using a pin in the reset button round the back.

If this failed then a hard reset was recommended which allowed reinstalling of the operating system while leaving data intact using the downloadable Synology Assistant app which finds the NAS on my network quickly.

Curiously if I connect a laptop directly to the NAS using a single ethernet cable I can load the admin page in IE on Windows 7....eventually.

In Firefox on my Windows 10 PC the NAS' admin page is reported as insecure and appears to be blocked.

My next port of call will be to remove both drives from the NAS, back up any data, reformat them and reinstall the OS.

To say I am frustrated with the situation would be an understatement.

If anyone has had a similar experience and a solution I would be glad to hear it.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synology NAS Problem

Did you make any progress on this @Strat? I have a NAS QNAP that gets quite offended if the power's dumped on it so when it restarts it limits access while it checks the integrity of the disks, maybe this had happened to you. Can you get access now via your LAN?

Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks for your comments @Anonymous

Not on my W10 PC I can't but I can on my W7 laptop.

It's not as lively as it was so maybe recovery work is going on under the bonnet as you say.

Most of what is on there is backups of stuff on other locations so what I will try is move files to another NAS and take the Synology back to basics including reformatting both drives.

The big puzzle I have is that my Waterfox browser announces the NAS admin website as insecure and won't load it.

Google Chrome and IE11 won't open it either.

IE on my W7 laptop will.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

The other question that springs to mind is that of LAN settings, have you changed the IP range? As if you're connecting a LAN cable direct to it gives you access then it may be running it's own DHCP service. Also, if your certificate is being refused it may be that the clock is needing reset or as mentioned the IP range / address has changed. Just a thought or two.

Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks Mook

IPs are ok. They can be DHCP or static. The NAS is currently on a static.

Funny you should mention the clock. I noticed yesterday the location was set to Casablanca and the time was 1 hour out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, Once you've reset the clock do the other browsers bleat about the certificate?

Strat
Community Veteran

@Anonymous Yes it does Angry

I have backed up 500GB from the NAS and reformatted both drives.

I have then re-installed the OS...the NAS has configured the two drives in a Hybrid RAID so I have around 4TB available.

I still can access the NAS's website from a laptop on my network but not my main PC.

Something on my PC is blocking access to what it sees as an insecure site and I'm not best pleased that I don't know what.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mmm! @Strat, wasn't expecting to hear that can you take a screen capture of the certificate error please.

Strat
Community Veteran

Not at the moment, it appears to be busy housekeeping.

I'll get back to you, thanks.

Strat
Community Veteran

On one side of a room I have my PC and Router.

On the other side of the room are the TV, satellite box, AV Receiver, a PS4, a PS3, a Blue ray player, a WD Live Streamer box, a WD NAS and the offending Synology NAS all networked through 2 x 8 port gigabit switches and connected to the router by an under floor cat 6 cable.

I disconnected my PC from the router and ran a long cat 5e cable I made up from the PC to one of the switches.

I logged into the Synology NAS admin page very quickly via this temporary connection.

Suspecting a fault with the underfloor cat 6 out came my cable tester which gave the cable a clean bill of health.

Resetting everything back as it was and the PC won't complete the connection process.

I have a 16 port gigabit switch on order as one of my 8 port switches is required elsewhere.

I'll see if that makes any difference and check out the rest of the network while I'm at it.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Strat,

I assume from your description that normally the link from the PC to the NAS goes through the routers built in switch.

Running the long cable in eliminates the router's switch - and that seems to fix the issue which suggests that the router's switch could be flaky or its MAC cache contaminated? Possibly a bad route to the NAS created when the power went down.

Have you restarted the router?

Could you change the MAC address on the PC ( often programmable in the device driver) and see if a different MAC address works.

If you connect the laptop to the router does it see the same delays?

Strat
Community Veteran

@wisty wrote:

Strat,

Have you restarted the router?

Yes with no change.

If you connect the laptop to the router does it see the same delays?

Yes

The path from the PC to the NAS is through the router and an 8 port gigabit switch (which I am replacing)

PS: Can't see a way of spoofing the MAC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

Have you tried resetting the switches, by doing a power off / on? Have you got the SSL error image yet?

Strat
Community Veteran

Not rebooted the switches yet but....

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported. The certificate is not valid for the name <NAS IP>.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER

Strat
Community Veteran

Rebooted the switches and everything is now running as it should.

Thank you very much guys for your assistance.

What's particularly [-Censored-] me off is that a factory reset of the NAS probably wasn't needed Angry Embarrassed

I've used switches for years and just ignored them as they tend to sit in a corner and just work.

I've given @Anonymous the fix but thanks also to @wisty

PS: I've just checked the log on my IP cam and noticed that it was also affected by the issue....it also goes through the switches.