cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep mode and overclocking.

dgk
Grafter

Sleep mode and overclocking.

I'm looking for a new PC. The May edition of PCPro recommended a Chillblast Fusion Quasar. This has a 3.4 GHz Intel core i5-4670k(3.8 GHz) overclocked to 4.3 GHz and a Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 motherboard. I've just noticed in the small print it says;
“As with most desktop PC systems, the use of sleep mode is not recommended as there is a chance your PC will not resume correctly. This and other hibernation features are used entirely at your own risk. On overclocked machines, sleep mode may be disabled.”
I use sleep mode all the time on my six-year-old Windows 7 PC and yes it doesn't always wake up.
But is there an issue with overclocked machines that sleep mode has to be disabled.
10 REPLIES 10
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Sleep mode and overclocking.

You will get at most a 20% improvement in speed - which you won't notice.
You will probably get a huge reduction in lifetime - which you will notice.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

My main PC boots in around 20 seconds, so there isn't a need to put this into sleep mode.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Agree Chris , i never use sleep mode with my SSD i get from boot fo be ready in 20 seconds  Wink
as for overclocking , i dont think its worth tha hassle
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not overclocked at the moment, but the kit I've got is capable of going up significantly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Cool Cool yep my CPU is 3.7 but i did once get to 4.6  running prime 95 ,, but not good for the cpu
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
CX
Grafter

Quote from: dgk
“As with most desktop PC systems, the use of sleep mode is not recommended as there is a chance your PC will not resume correctly. This and other hibernation features are used entirely at your own risk. On overclocked machines, sleep mode may be disabled.”

Sounds rock-solid.  Roll_eyes
There is no excuse for sleep not working correctly on a modern PC, irrespective of whether or not there is a "need" for it due to cold boot speeds.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's only applicable to lap tops.
When they are asleep they don't use the batteries much.
They sleep little and often.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dgk
Grafter

Quote from: CX
There is no excuse for sleep not working correctly on a modern PC, irrespective of whether or not there is a "need" for it due to cold boot speeds.

I am glad to hear that CX. I don't want to go to the bother of closing down all my applications and open files when taking a break.
I've spoken to Chillblast and they say that they disable the sleep function on all their computers.
On the subject of overclocking if they overclock the PC then the settings for this are stored in a profile in the BIOS as are the standard non overclocked settings, so it is easy to change from one to the other. So I can try it in the overclocked state and see whether I think any increase in performance is worth having at the risk of shortening the life of the CPU.
CX
Grafter

I might have jumped to conclusions.
The difference is whether they are disabling the sleep functionality completely, or just disabling the auto sleep timeout. The latter is understandable on a desktop PC, as is disabling hard disk sleep timeout.
Having the ability to sleep on demand is useful, so I wouldn't want to disable that. Without sleep your choices are either: a) shut down all your open files and re-open them after cold booting or b) leave the computer running 24/7.
vicky1959
Grafter

As my partner says  build your own its cheaper[he build all his gaming machine],and if  you have yours on sleep mode problem happens some drivers do not wake correctly,so if its just a case of because its slow to load,answer as he says its get a ssd drive,he has one boots in 10secs to windows,just buy a small size[256mb] put main stuff you use on it and then direct all other progs to physical drive[old one] he disconnected original windows and all his stuff  on one hd and has a another he directs non essiential stuff to his other drive]
he bought a samsung evo 256gb and was bit sceptical on the clone software but was surprised as produced no faults he got it for £99 inc delivery,ironic as the link below there in france delivery by UPS  from order to del took 2days,,cloned his  hd with 80gb of games inc windows in 25mins
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/solid-state-drive-ssd/samsung-840-evo-mz-7te250-solid-state-drive-250-gb-i...