cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown and "express.exe"

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Shutdown and "express.exe"

Over the last few days, most times when I shut my pc down, the shutdown process gets stopped and I get a message in a small window that one place in memory cannot be read. It states that express.exe is still running (is it this that is trying to read this part of memory?), and I have to click on a soft button in that window to stop express.exe. I do that and the shutdown completes.

What is going on? This may be a minor irritation at the moment, but could it be the start of something worse? What is express.exe anyway?

Thanks for any help. Take care

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Shutdown and "express.exe"

Don't know that .exe file, @penneck , but a quick search and the first repose - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/expressexe-error-at-shutdown/b1cd... suggests it could be related to the Garmin satnav - do you have one?

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Yes I do have Garmin on my pc. Unfortunately, apart from removing the Garmin software, there wasn't any other suggested cures. There was a Garmin update the other day too. I think I will have to contact Garmin and see what they think. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help

jab1
Legend

OK, that rules out a rogue .exe -good. Can you not try uninstalling and reinstalling the software? - sounds as though it might have got it's knickers in a twist. Also, if it is old and you are using W10, that OS can get upset quite easily.

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I could try a re-install, but I don't want to lose my running history. In the meantime, I have emailed Garmin UK. I will wait for their response before I go down the re-install route.

Cheers and thankyou

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @jab1 ,

Emails have been flying to and from Garmin on this problem. They suggested a re-install. It worked in the period between Uninstall and Reinstall in that the shutdown problem disappearred, but as soon as Garmin went back on, the problem recurred. They have finally agreed to put the problem to their backroom boys and girls, and will let me know.... ... and just as I expected, because of the uninstall/reinstall, I've lost my running history (apart from the most recent run - I guess that is still recorded in the watch).

Thanks for your help. Take care. Stay safe

jab1
Legend

OK @penneck - I'll leave it to Garmin, as I suspect it is their problem. Hope you get it sorted.Looks like it could have been the 'update' - they do have a disturbing tendency to break things.

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

An update on this shutdown problem.

(1) I found that Garmin was working in the background even though I hadn't used it - I found I had several log files on a day when I had used the pc on and off, but hadn't been for a run so didn't use Garmin. Garmin told me of a place in Settings where I could untick a box that would stop this 'running in the bacground'. I did that and the shutdown problem disappeared;

(2) Garmin then advised me to uninstall Garmin Express, which I did. This time I uninstalled then ran a search for Garmin files. The Garmin files were still there, but the Desktop Garmin icon had gone. I reinstalled, and the shutdown problem returned. I unticked that box again, left it like that, and never had a shutdown problem for a few weeks;

(3) I have just uninstalled Garmin again. This time all the Garmin files went (apart from two very tiny ones in c:/program data/Garmin) - don't know why this time but not last - I didn't knowingly do anything different. I reinstalled Garmin again, and the problem is back.

My thought now is "could it be the software that is trying to read the memory address where it clashes with exercise.exe the problem, in which case, how can I identify that software?"

Thankyou for any help

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have Garmin on my PC and have seen this issue but a recent update of Garmin express seems to have 'fixed it' for me.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @Strat .

Only a few days ago, I had an update too (v7.4.0.0) but it made no difference. My latest reinstalls use that version. I have had Garmin looking at this for about a month (or more - may two months by now). They don't know what is causing it. Strangely, if I have that box I mentioned ticked, so Garmin Express starts working in the background every time I boot up my pc, the problem at shutdown doesn't happen every time, just 50 or 60% of the time. Untick that box, and the problem never shows. When unticked, the bootup is a lot quicker than when ticked. However, unticked significantly slows down starting Garmin Express when I want to use it, compared to being ticked, so swings and roundabouts.

I notice you are on Windows 10. I use Win 7, so perhaps that causes the problem. Do you know what software processes your pc uses when it is shutting down? It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that Garmin Express communicates with Garmin Headquarters while Garmin Express is running and stores my data there. I base that on when I uninstalled GE, it removed just about all the Garmin files from my pc, but when I reinstalled, I could still find all of my Garmin running records. I wonder if GE tells headquarters "I am shutting down" and needs, but sometimes doesn't get, a response in time before Windows needs to use a memory address that 'exercise.exe' also uses. Its just a thought, but I am desperately scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Regards

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hi @penneck  I'm currently on version 7.3.1.0 of Garmin Express with no more updates available at present.

I did notice in Task Manager that Garmin Express is rated as a high impact on startup app.

If I have issues with shut-down, it's usually Outlook causing it, so not related to your issue.

I hope you find a solution.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine