cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I install W10 now or wait for few months?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Should I install W10 now or wait for few months?

Really?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: CX
It's gone reasonably well for me so far.
The main issues I've encountered:
- My main PC has been waking itself up. It looks like the Realtek ethernet is to blame, since it implicates the PCI-PCI bridge it sits behind as the wake source.
- Windows Mail kept freezing shortly after I opened it. It worked again after rebooting.
- Lenovo C260 got stuck on the Lenovo boot screen after installing some updates. After manual power off and back on it was fine.
I'm going to stick with Windows 10. It's a far better operating system than 8 was.

theres a bug with a particular line of realtek nics and you need to do a registry hack to fix the internet programs constantly crashing, cant remember the exact details since I did it some months ago to fix a problem with a game constantly crashing under w8.1, and again the day I installed w10 the issue has re-arisen after some updates from M$ where they undid the change..... now I need to find the instructions again and redo it....
you would think that given more than 50% of mobo manufacturers used realtek nics they would of fixed the damn problem with constant connection crashing but no that would be to much effort ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

One would think, that, by now,..... Microsoft would know how to write an O.S. without any bugs in it.... and only then..... offer it to the public.... either free or charged for...
Seems to me, that it is a lot of people, with a lot of ideas, writing indivdual sections, ... but they don`t actually "get together" and work things out coherently... they just "expect" it to gel together....
Only computer geeks... and I say that with respect, not jest............, will be able to sort out the individual problems associated with Windows 10 in it`s present, and probably future, format.
  I suspect that 95% of people who expected it to work out of the box and found that it did not, are very disappointed... BUT.. now ... because there is no "obvious" way back, ( to them )... the think they are stuck with it... and certainly will be after 30 days from the upgrade date...
What a mess.....
nanotm
Pro

Brand new systems with vanilla W10 on are working fine, sure you and a lot of other people don't like the changes but that doesn't make the OS a mess,
It's always been true that a fresh install on a clean drive is going to work 100 times better than any sort of upgrade will, but we keep trying to do in place upgrades and hang onto our existing system as much as possible then wonder why it's not as good as it was.....
Well 10 years ago  M$ figured out that a second drive with an enclosure for the data transfer was the only way to ship all your files and programs from old to new but that's expensive and awkward to do so they gave up trying to push that methodology and just post obscure advisories about it whilst giving us the messy buggy version the majority asked for.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: ReedRichards
  • I Had a problem installing the cumulative updates - which I fixed myself, no thanks to Microsoft

So far, Microsoft has issued four cumulative updates to Windows 10: KB3081424, KB3081436, KB3081438 & KB3081444.  Each on supersedes its predecessors.  The latest one patches a bug that caused the update to fail and gave rise to multiple restarts before recovering from the failure.  Thank you, Microsoft. 
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@ RR  which kinda proves my point.....  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Microsoft is a very large organization.  In such organizations, orders come down from on high about the way things should work.  If these orders are impractical or impracticable there is little that can be done because nobody listens to the workers on the shop floor or at the coal face.  And nobody in management dares say "That's not going to work" for fear that expressing such opinions would be 'career limiting'. 
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

ReedRichards , that sounds familiar a bit closer to home as well  Cheesy Shocked
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
chandu
Rising Star

Hi Guys,
Sorry, I have been out of touch with you all lately as I am experiencing lots of disconnections since 4th July 2015.
I am grabbing this moment to thank you all for your opinions of W10.
I think I shall leave my free upgrade from W7 to W10 at least for few months.  Hopefully everything gets sorted by New Year.
Many regards,
Chandu.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Well i won,t touch it this year. Smiley Cheesy Grin
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Or next year, either.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."