Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan & Print using Canon MG6851 all in one printer/scanner

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Scan & Print using Canon MG6851 all in one printer/scanner

I have only used this machine as a straight forward printer, for letters.... until today, when I wanted to scan and print some documents.

Eventually managed it, but only by pressing this and clicking that and making lots of restarts. 

The "on screen" instructions are not very good...  and the only way I could eventually get a printed copy was by accessing it from an automatically opened email as an attachment.  then I had to open the document ( attachment)  to print it.. ( I renamed it and saved it as a PDF document in Documents) for future prints ).

Is there a way, to scan and print in one operation... if so... can someone please write me a "noddy`s guide" i.e. step by step, on how to do this...     Or   even how to allocate the location  if it has to be saved first on the computer. so that it is easy to find before using the print options.

19 REPLIES 19
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Scan & Print using Canon MG6851 all in one printer/scanner

Fix

@shutter I have the same scanner, and sometimes get as confused as you. The online user menu is a (unprintable). Here is my suggestion.

Find Canon Quick Menu short cut and click. On my system a series of icons for various functions appears in bottom
right of the screen, shaped like a set square.

Select Image Garden (should be third down). In Guide Menu choose Scan Option, and you'll see the various choices.

All given on a FWIW, No Refund, Disclaimer of Liability Notice, and without Inside leg measurement.Funny Best of luck!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Luzern Thanks for the reply....

First question..... Where ?  do I find the Canon Quick menu    ?   Undecided    Huh

I did ask for a "noddy`s guide "   ! ! ! !   Embarrassed

shutter
Community Veteran

@Luzern   Found it ! ... but have to install it from the cd rom first.... so will look back and see what happens..  Thanks

shutter
Community Veteran

@Luzern  Thank you for your info..... Managed to get it sorted... and produce a print from a scan... seems to be a bit easier ( although still long-winded) to do it with the "image garden"... Have created a special folder on desktop so I can save scans for future use...

Cheers  Wink

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

My suggestion (fwiw)...buy an Epson, much easier and quicker. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Luzern
Hero

@Pete11 I'm not going to gainsay your opinion, people buy either on price or what they are convinced will suit their needs. Every make has strengths and weaknesses; some better for documents others for photos, or whatever. HP have only a black cartridge, and a combined tri-colour cartridge. That's OK, except one of those three colours running out while the others are still available is wasteful, because the whole cartridge has to be replaced.

Canon, however, uses five, three colour- cyan, magenta, yellow, and two blacks- one for photos amd a pigment based one for documents. That in my opinion is environmentally more sensible use of resources.

What system other makes use, I do not know, but HP offer Instant Ink, an automatic linked from printer to HP replacement service. The must think it a money-spinner for them selling it at MRP. Roll_eyes 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Get a separate scanner & printer for optimal control.

If you want to scan in hi-res colour but print in medium-res monochrome you can!

My HP scanner was found in a skip, 10 years ago and still going strong. Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern

I couldn't agree with you more on that. I have an Epson all in one and the inks are separate cartridges and when running out it asks if you wish to purchase more. It's very easy to work with, as you hit 'Scan' it asks where you want to scan or save to, one of those options being 'Print'.It also works over WIFI and I found it to be exactly what I wanted for the work I do at home.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@VileReynard

That's what I used to do, but since moving here I don't have the room for both as it's a smaller house. An all in one suits me better space-wise.

Luzern
Hero

Automatic cartridge supply has its merits, yes, but it ties in to buying only the manufacturers' own products. I can understand commercial users, with service contracts being tied in. Yet, for domestic users generic options are there.

Of course much gloom and doom about them comes from printer makers, together with actions to prevent use of generics, some anti= competitive. I cannot but think that fear of competition than customer wellbeing is their driver.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I couldn't agree more, then there's the threat of using the old.."Warranty will not be fulfilled if using 'generic' inks.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes but my friend who is a sysadmin was not happy when changing a unofficial laser yellow toner which he said exploded on him. Nice in formal clothes and a good colour customisation to your shirt. Roll_eyes

Being a bit more serious, I am not familar with that model, but I have a HP (circa two years ago) which has a small LCD screen. I believe in theory you can scan, review on the LCD and print without using a computer at all.

Sounds pretty cool, but I have never used it myself yet.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK.... HP.    excellent quality printers..... however   only two cartridges... black and tricolour... had one for years.... and used to refill my cartridges from 100 ml bottles ... as needed... sometimes a bit messy.. but I was poor back then.....

Epson was the next one... with separate cartridges... and cheap "aftermarket" replacements...  only problem I found with that was that the colour matching between what I saw on screen, and what came out of the printer, was way too different... so didn`t print much with it... 

Replaced it with this Canon... and think this is the best of the three...  sep carts... cheap aftermarket... good quality text printing, and good quality colour photo prints.  

I don`t print a lot... so, suggestions on Laser and separate scanners etc, are just absurd.  apart from the initial cost they would not get used enough to justify the cost..

I have had this printer for a couple of years now,  and this is the first time i have ever needed to scan anything with it... 

For exercise... I have just scanned an old photo of myself "on watch"  on HMS Centaur, when I was 19 yrs old.... and then have tried to "repair" it  with a new program to me called "PhotoScape".... it`s FREE  (of course )  and I found it very easy to use...

Original taken in 1963Repaired version July 2018

Luzern
Hero

@shutter It's marvellous, how good repairing old photos is. I did some that must have been taken in the 50s, or even earlier, and as near perfect as can be.

You, I assume, know ICC profiles and matching ink to paper, and, of course monitor calibration. Thinking otherwise would be egg-sucking time.

When the colour gamuts of camera, monitor and final output have to be harmonised, it's a wonder what we can produce, I think. 

PS. I never know how inaccurate my colour sense had become with cataracts. That was revealed, when I went to the cinema, with only one of my eyes operated on. One side of a character's face was pink and healthy, the other suffered from jaundice.