Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD for my rebuild - discussion

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: SSD for my rebuild - discussion

Given the 'linear' price per unit capacity from 250GB upwards I'd go with a 250GB if I could afford it (at least 120GB otherwise) and add more SSD later as sizes/prices will continue to improve if required (I assume you have 'spare' SATA ports).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I will have although not as many as my present motherboard which has 10
Probably 6 as that seems to present norm
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

get something like this then http://www.ebuyer.com/644025-crucial-ct512mx100ssd1-mx100-512gb-sata-6gbps-2-5inch-7mm-with-9-5mm-ad...
it might not be the best but its cheap right now Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is actually old stock and no longer being manufactured (same price from Amazon by the way)
Now for the next decision given that I want to keep Win 7 running just in case some of the legacy programs won't work in Win 10
I could build the new PC SSD etc. with XP as the main boot (I have a spare license) and Win 10 beta to play about with or I can just wait until Win 10 prices are announced and see what the options are
Being a cautious soul I will probably wait unless I see a really good offer for the motherboard/cpu combo or there is a short term drop in the Intel Core i5 i5-4690K cpu price which is the one I will be going for
nanotm
Pro

yeah there's tonnes of  last cycle stock being flogged on the cheap right now, looks like they figured out how to make htem more reliable in the new iteration and thus want to offload the old stock fast, which makes them ideal purchases for the price conscious
personally when i was making the leap from xp to 7 i picked up a £50 laptop package off ebay running xp for any legacy issues to be covered and i still have that now sat in a bag wondering if i'll ever use it again lol.
if your truly bothered about legacy stuff your best option might be to investigate the virtual pc option, certainly for the few legacy items i have i can still use them through virtual pc on windows 8 (they were built for windows xp) just as I did with windows 7 and if the still ok and are still required probably will do with windows 10,
trying to duel boot with a uefi mobo is rather large problem to overcome ....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: nanotm
trying to duel boot with a uefi mobo is rather large problem to overcome ....
Not sure what the problem is - This is the option in the bios and is set to allow boot from either as default
Boot Mode Selection
  Allows you to select which type of operating system to boot.
UEFI and Legacy  Allows booting from operating systems that support legacy option ROM or UEFI option ROM. (Default)
nanotm
Pro

yep my mobo is in the legacy setting because my gfx card (R9-270x) is not uefi compatible according to the bios (because asus are weird and don't code there stuff properly) yet my old win 7 hdd that still connected cannot be booted from nor can the Linux one I thought i'd play about with....
the problem is down purely to the way windows 8 changed the bios settings and now its almost like I have a junk oem installed system, I have read up on this though and found out there is a way to prevent windows changing the bios settings during the install process using the lock function, however if I change the bios settings with the current install windows wont boot and I will have to completely reinstall windows (ive had this happen 2 times already which took me 7 days to complete because of the way it refuses to recognise the gpt partition despite insisting that's how the hdd is formatted during the install procedure)
no doubt its a problem with the hardware /software combo I have, and my unfamiliarity with uefi, my original mobo that developed faults with the USB didn't have nay such complications but I guess that's "progress" for you /
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
... I want to keep Win 7 running just in case some of the legacy programs won't work in Win 10...

I would certainly vote for a VM. I use VirtualBox (free) to run a 32bit version of Windows 7 (off my old machine) inside a 64bit Windows 8.1 host in order to run some 16 bit legacy code and some 32bit software that doesn't play nicely with 64 bit windows. In what VirtualBox calls seamless mode I get two taskbars at the bottom of the screen, and the programmes from both the host & the VM open as Windows. Cut and paste works between them.
It is fairly straight forward - with a bit of faffing about, mainly to do with Windows licensing -  to clone your existing system and fire it up as a VM inside Virtualbox.
I also have a copy of the Windows 10 preview in another VM just to play with and test (doesn't quite play seamlessly with VitualBox yet).
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Is this one any good? http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/newsletter?productId=63277&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=emai...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Possibly
I haven't looked into the details yet but at present I would favour Crucial only because of their superb RMA service (at least on memory from my experience)
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I could build the new PC SSD etc. with XP as the main boot

If you do go the dual/triple boot way, don't put XP on the SSD, the OS was not optimised for SSD use (too old) and will not use it efficiently and will probably trash it in no time (later OSes are better suited as they have SSD modes (disabling defrag, handling files better, etc.) built in, whereas XP doesn't)...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

good point - I hadn't considered that
nanotm
Pro

Possibly
I haven't looked into the details yet but at present I would favour Crucial only because of their superb RMA service (at least on memory from my experience)

doesn't that service only kick in after 1 year if you buy from 3rd party suppliers?
I ask because last time I bought a crucial product from ebuyer I had ot go back to ebuyer 3 mths later when it developed a fault (who I have always found to have excellent rma service as well)
which caused me problems when I bought something via amazon and I couldn't get it rma'd when it stopped working correctly inside the 12 month period but outside amazons 3 mth return service...... ended up having to wait for 5 months to get it swapped out
Oldjim
Resting Legend

that is because I buy direct from them
Regarding Amazon their returns under warranty are covered here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201531430
Where do you get the 3 months from
Darsh
Grafter

Later OSes have trim support, WinXP doesn't.

Darsh