Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card stuck in phone.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

SIM card stuck in phone.

Flipped out that little side draw on my new mobile to slot in a mini SD card for some extra memory only to see the SIM card was not there. Must have gotten stuck inside as it still works as if was in there and the draw slots back in easy enough.

So should I let sleeping SIM cards lie and not worry about it or should I try and get it out somehow and if so, how.

Checked on-line (as you do these days) and one suggestion was using super glue on a thin tab. Not keen on that idea, and I'm not one to take such a thing as a new mobile phone to bits either.

Crikey SIM cards were so much easier and accessible on my old mobile.   

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: SIM card stuck in phone.

@Minivanman 

So are you saying that the SIM. Is located in the same slot as the memory? I thought that they were usually in different slots.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sound like my previous DVD player. The drawer often needed a bit of help opening and I guess I yanked too hard. The drawer came open but the DVD slipped off and stayed inside.

It's a lot easier to open a DVD player than the now often glued together mobiles.

I would go with your first thought and leave the sleeping SIM where it is until it does go wrong, and becomes necessary to get the hammer and chisel out. My tools of choice for mobile repairs.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Baldrick1 wrote:

So are you saying that the SIM. Is located in the same slot as the memory? I thought that they were usually in different slots.

@Baldrick1 

Both the SIM and microSD cards are held in the same tray on my Samsung Galaxy S7, whilst SWTSMBO's Galaxy A20e tray holds 2 x SIM and 1 x microSD (3 in total) on the same tray.

EDIT:  But I think I see what you're getting at, i.e. that the tray pulled out might be empty because the SIM is in another slot?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Minivanman  did you put a SIM  into the phone yourself or have you just assumed there was one in the tray ?

I'm thinking maybe the phone has an ESIM as its primary sim and only uses the tray for a 2nd one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for the response guys.

As @RobPN says it's in the same tray.

It's definitely still in there as it's still working and looking around on-line it seems to be a not uncommon problem. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Dual sim cards and memory cards all share the same tray.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Legend

@VileReynard 

Indeed they do, only in my case one of them has gone AWOL.

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Did you go ahead and attempt adding a microSD card to the phone yet (with the stuck SIM still in place) @Minivanman ?

If not already done, I think I'd be wary of doing that as it may compound the problem.

Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN 

It's still stuck in there somewhere Rob.

Thought it was still working, but when out and about earlier I was unable to send or receive calls or texts. Should have realised that like our laptops and kindles it does not need a SIM card to work from home.

I'll not fiddle with it so checking out phone repairers at the moment. 

I dunno, new phone and already I managed to b****r it up.

Herman Melville
Baldrick1

@Minivanman 

I am surprised that if there is a SIM card left inside that came out of the tray and the tray is unbroken that the tray still slides in and out easily.

Did you insert the SIM yourself? If not are you absolutely sure that as suggested by @MisterW , it isn't using an eSIM, which is a firmare download, not a physical card?

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Minivanman  confirming the make & model of the phone might help us understand more what the possibilities are...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

@Baldrick1 

No broken tray which as you say is a surprise but it was stuck in there... and now after a series of gently tapping during the day it eventually made an appearance. 

@MisterW 

Yeh, should have mentioned the model. 😕

It was a Blackview BV4900S

Herman Melville
Baldrick1

@Minivanman 

This phone has a very interesting spec, especially it's meeting Mil-Std-810G.

The fact that the SIM can drop out of the carrier and the carrier still slide out without jamming makes me wonder how the SIM is held securely during the vibration tests, or whether you just have a faulty phone. If it was exposed to the full range of vibration tests then I can't help but wonder whether they were conducted without a SIM being fitted.

Either way it's quite an impressive spec for the price.

Moderator and Customer

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Baldrick1   On my HUAWEI Y6 2019 phone... you have to access a little tray, to insert the dual sim cards... and also the same tray holds the memory card.

all three cards "just fit" on the small recessed edge around the frames of each area.. there is nothing to stop it falling out, when you return the tray back into the phone.....

Here is a link showing a video the silly design.....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=HUAWEI+Y6+2019+HOW+TO+INSERT+A+SIM+CARD&ei=x2vtYaepJYWT8gKBloHgBw&...

Probably similar to @Minivanman  `s phone... by the sound of it...