cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rural or Urban ? Fast or Slow Broadband ?

Santiago
Grafter

Re: Rural or Urban ? Fast or Slow Broadband ?

Quote from: WebDude
would you not see some benefit from something downloading in a quarter of the time it would take at 8 Mbps ?

What is the benefit? Perhaps you will explain.
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Rural, would just like to get what I pay for. Then I could vote for that

Ditto
WebDude
Grafter

What is the benefit? Perhaps you will explain.

Whether it is downloading a (large) piece of software to something paid for on a company's website, to me, there is a benefit in having the download complete in as short a time as possible.  I can think of little or no benefit 'the other way' (ie making something slower for the sake of it) - so long as the ISP is not unhappy about providing the speed that a customer expects from their connection.
WebDude
Grafter

For JohnJ and Santiago - appreciate you may be having problems, but that's not really a "Digital Britain" 'broadband service' issue, it's something far more  dependent on ISP, and (relatively) temporary, compared with government projects taking 10 years to come to fruition - ie you have a choice of moving before 2012, possibly before 2011, possibly next month, if you are able/willing to pay any deferred fees.
If you are on an "up to 8 Mbps" service then the service you are getting is presumably either (a) hampered because of line / equipment problems or (b) you feel there's some artificial / imposed restriction forced on you by PlusNet.  For (a) it could be the same with some other ISP, and for (b) it has no real link with whether you are interested in some speed over 20 Mbps, or whether a speed of up to 2 Mbps / 8 Mbps would be OK, as some others feel.