cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime and DLL problems

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Runtime and DLL problems

I have encountered a major problem which is beyond me.
On my main PC I still run ME and use Firefox/Thunderbird.
I can open the PC as normal but when I click an icon to open a program I get an error message.  It reads:
Runtime Error
Program: C\PROGRAM FILES\ (name of prog)
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
This is totally beyond my PC knowledge.  Is there any way I can download something to a memory stick to put on the problem PC?  I don't have an ME installation CD.
Thanks for any advice.
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Runtime and DLL problems

This is not something I've come across before; there are numerous references on Google, but I didn't find anything specific. It looks like a DLL has changed and the new copy is incompatible with existing software. The best I can do is put forward a couple of suggestions of things to try.
1) If you can identify installation of a new application (or an update to an existing one) that immediately preceded the occurrence of the problem, remove the update if possible; alternatively use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and remove the complete application. Restart the computer after removal.
2) If the previous suggestion doesn't work (or nothing comes to mind) - use System Restore to go back to a time before this problem was first encountered and see if it goes away then. The Microsoft Knowledge Base article on System Restore for Windows ME can be found here.
I hope one of these suggestions helps.
With regard to using a memory stick on the computer; using USB devices on ME can be problematical. In many cases suitable drivers are supposed to be built in, but one finds they aren't. I recall some years ago wanting to copy user data between two ME computers. A Disgo memory stick worked fine on one but the other complained of no drivers.
By referring to the installation that worked I identified which files were needed. I think I copied some files from the W98 cabinet archives, and tinkered with the dot-ini files to install the files required. Eventually this proved successful but I doubt doing it again would have been straightforward even at that time. Now alas …
David
Rikaitch
Grafter

Re: Runtime and DLL problems

the other thing to try is to find out which windows file has been corrupted. The best way to try this is to go to Start->run->sfc and check for changed files.