cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

trotskiftw

Re: Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

Has anyone noticed this significantly reducing max bandwidth? With the stock firmware i was getting 50mbps+ on the wifi and 70+mbps from the switch, now I struggle to see 40mbps on the wifi and barely over 60mbps on the switch.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Is this "known"? Going to restore stock firmware tonight to confirm as I don't have a spare to compare against. If the firmware is the cause for this, I'd wish there were more public warnings that this is the case...

steviejay
Grafter

@trotskiftw wrote:

Has anyone noticed this significantly reducing max bandwidth? With the stock firmware i was getting 50mbps+ on the wifi and 70+mbps from the switch, now I struggle to see 40mbps on the wifi and barely over 60mbps on the switch.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Is this "known"? Going to restore stock firmware tonight to confirm as I don't have a spare to compare against. If the firmware is the cause for this, I'd wish there were more public warnings that this is the case...

I'm of the opinion that the hardware isn't so hot in the 5a as opposed to the 5b.

That and the effort level required to make it work as advertised has kind of put me off. But I can say that certainly on my connnection the 5a struggles to make mid 30Mbps downstream whereas the 5b reaches the 40Mbps 'peg' that Plusnet use on Superfast. Upstream is similar (8.5Mbps sync as opposed to 10Mbps 'peg')

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Have you studied the LEDE installation guide for the HH5A ?

Poor throughput from WAN to LAN/wifi is well documented.  Put simply, there is NO hardware acceleration support when using LEDE/OpenWRT on Lantiq devices.  18.06's WAN to LAN performance is particularly degraded compared to previous 17.01 imho.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
gatty

@tan159 "Then i proceeded to post by bill888. Scroll down his 1st post and download the pdf LEDE for HH5A - Typical Hub Configurations."

Thanks for this, however that PDF guide doesn't exist any more, but found those instructions have been included in the PDF "OpenWRT-LEDE Installation Guide for HH5A" which can be downloaded from bill's other post at https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266 - under 'LEDE Installation Guide for BT Home Hub 5A can be found in this dropbox folder:'

harrym1byt
Rising Star

I just thought I would provide an update on my HH5a's wifi issues and progress.. Basically a little, but not much...

I am trying to get a reliable feed, via wifi 2.4Ghz, for an always on PTZ camera. The HH5a's 2.4 wifi port seems to just randomly shut down and I loose access to the cam. Cam is located one floor down, about 2 feet below and no more than 6 feet horizontally - after moving the router to be even closer to the cam. Connectivity reliability has improved slightly since moving it, To be fair, it wasn't absolutely perfect via its Netgear predecessor, but loss of connection was rare.

Restarting the 2.4 wifi usually works, but not every time. Disabling, then enabling seems to be the more reliable method to get it back in operation. LEDE even shows the lack of the 2.4.  I know a wired connection would be better, but I am trying to avoid making holes through a bedroom ceiling. The cam keeps an eye on the front garden looking down from the top, inside of a front window.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Another update on this wifi /webcam issue...

For the past few days, rather than letting the wifi choose its own working channel, via the auto setting, I have chosen a channel for it based on the strengths of other signals the router is seeing. The access to my webcam seems much more reliable and it seems to much more reliably reconnect when interrupted.

This suggests the auto channel selection process of this router or its software is less than useful.

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi, all. Would someone with VDSL please let me know how to change my ADSL configs shown below?

config dsl 'dsl'
    option annex 'a'
    option xfer_mode 'atm'
    option line_mode 'adsl'

config interface 'wan'
    option proto 'pppoa'
    option username 'xxxxxxxxxxxx'
    option password 'xxxxxxxxxxxx'
    option vpi '0'
    option vci '38'
    option encaps 'vc'
    option ipv6 '0'

My service was switched to VDSL yesterday. I've tried collecting info from earlier in this thread but have not been able to connect. Perhaps the line doesn't work. At least if I can get the correct amendments to my config then I can have some confidence that it isn't my router...

Update, tried again this evening and it worked first time. Config used is below in case it's useful to anyone.

config dsl 'dsl'
option xfer_mode 'ptm'
option annex 'b'
option tone 'a'

config interface 'wan'
option proto 'pppoe'
option ifname 'ptm0.101'
option username 'xxx'
option password 'xxx'
option ipv6 '0'

config device 'wan_dev'
option name 'ptm0'
option macaddr 'de:ad:be:ef:ca:fe'

Mml
Grafter

Just to add to the above, replace ptm0.101 and ptm0 with dsl0.101 and dsl0 on OpenWRT version 18.06 and above.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Just to update on the WiFi frequently disconnecting from my webcam issue I was have lots of issues with...

I never managed to resolve it, so a constant round of restarting the wifi interface, sometimes several times a day. Today I reluctantly gave in and ran a LAN cable between router and webcam.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

That is odd...

I have had this camera for quite a few years now and had no idea it provided both picture and sound. There had been noise when on wifi, but never anything I could distinguish as any sensible sound and it has a socket marked 'mic'. So I had always assumed I might get sound, if I could be bothered to fit a mic in the socket.

I have just enabled the sound in my camera viewing software and there it was, some pretty clear sound. I guess it must be the fact that I have it connected via wired LAN cable, rather than the wifi I was struggling with before.

Yosek

Hello everyone

I need help with my bthome5v5a

I tridt install openwrt on bt5 without nand backup something was wrong 

killall: telnetd: no process killed
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... ubusd logd netifd odhcpd mountd ntpd dnsmasq
Sending KILL to remaining processes ...
ubimkvol: error!: UBI device does not have free logical eraseblocks
cannot create kernel volume
libubi: error!: "/dev/" is not a character device
ubiupdatevol: error!: error while probing "/dev/"
              error 22 (Invalid argument)
tar: write error: Broken pipe
libubi: error!: "/dev/" is not a character device
ubiupdatevol: error!: error while probing "/dev/"
              error 22 (Invalid argument)
tar: write error: Broken pipe
sysupgrade successful
umount: can't unmount /dev: Resource busy
umount: can't unmount /tmp: Resource busy
umount: can't unmount /: Invalid argument
[  995.144482] reboot: Restarting sy▒
ROM VER: 1.1.4

after that openwrt is working bad

someone can send me BTHOMEHUBV5A NAND backup?

if yes hire is my email: joseduziak@wp.pl

regards

Yosek

snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Can anyone guide me to the right information for noobs on putting this 'OpenWRT' on the BTHH5A please?

- also, can it be done on the much better BTHH5B..?

I have 2 x BTHH5A's and 2 x BTHH5B's and would like to put them to good use

thnx

TimSmall
Grafter

Last time I looked, you'll need to be OK with soldering on a UART cable (3x solder connections), otherwise there are (were?) people offering to do that for you on eBay for a modest fee.

The 5b is a broadcom machine, and broadcom are pretty hostile to open source overall (happy to take, but not to give) - so probably not.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@snadge page 1 of this thread woud be a good place to start - have you looked there?

xvoland
Dabbler

Hi, guys! Can someone give me a working configuration for Plus Net? I have OpenWRT 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f