cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

guillaumedsde
Hooked

Re: Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

it does sound similar indeed I also get the UART prompt displayed clearly with no noise.  I tried redoing both TX/RX solders a couple more times, I also tried soldering R78 directly onto the resistor instead of the pad, but always the same problem, where it seems like cat *file*.asc > dev/ttyUSB0 is sending data because random text is showing up in picocom but when its done "sending" random text it just stays there, my TX might not be connected well enough, but I'm not sure what to do having tried the transistor and having tried soldering oin the pads as cleanly as I could, any more suggestions?

ribzlike

Alas, the addition of option line_mode 'vdsl' has not helped Sad

ribzlike

@guillaumedsde wrote:

any more suggestions?

You say you've tried on Windows. Using Windows, have you tried copying the .asc to the clipboard and pasting it into a PuTTY session that is connected to the UART?

When I pasted it, I didn't get random letters at all, I got a lot of *s going up a like a progress bar.

guillaumedsde
Hooked

Just tried that, I feel like the TX line is indeed not very well connected  but no idea why since the soldering is good, might be upstream like the trace is damaged or something.... Sad

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Do you have a pi you can use to send it? I used both a pi and a ftdi adaptor, had more luck with the pi.
guillaumedsde
Hooked

I do, which pins do I have to connect RX and TX to on the pi? and which /dev/* device do I have to launch picocom on?

guillaumedsde
Hooked

(RaspberryPi 3B if that helps)

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you look at the first page he is using a pi there.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, another reader had issues with their Pi

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1043

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Inkfun

Could someone upload their nanddump, as my backup failed and now can’t really do much. And core2lees link to his nanddump is dead.
bill888
Champion

check your LEDE forum pm

TimSmall
Grafter

I have a few USB<->3.3v UART adaptors here.  The best one for this task was also the cheapest - the 99p (inc P&P!) ebay PL2303 based one.

Check the voltage on these USB adaptors tho, some of them are a bit more than the stated 3.3v.  Some are just 5v(!).

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi all, anyone updated yet?

The OpenWrt community is proud to announce the first release of the OpenWrt 18.06.0 release stable version series. It incorporates over 4000 commits since branching the previous LEDE 17.01 release and has been under development for well over a year.

With this release, the re-merged OpenWrt project attempts to define a baseline for future development based on the technological modernization and refined release processes done by the former LEDE project.

Mml
Grafter

Looking at the changelog, I'd better hold off till 18.6.1 comes out to fix the bugs. Same as when new major version of Windows, iOS etc comes out Smiley

/ I need help here: I messed up my network settings (probably turned off bridge on my Ethernet interface) and now I cannot connect to the router - it boots up, connects to DSL an all, but it's all isolated and when I connect to it via Wi-Fi or ethernet, there's just no response, no DHCP, ssh connection, router configuration page, nothing.

And I'm unlucky enough to have the LEDE version where reset button doesn't work. So can I only fix it by soldering wires back on and re-flashing, or is there something else I forgot to try?

bill888
Champion

Have you tried setting up a static IP on your computer (eg. 192.168.1.2) to connect to the HH5a (eg. 192.168.1.1)

If you installed the ubifs (not squashfs) sysupgrade image, then I can't think of anything else to try.