cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

tevo5
Dabbler

Re: Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

@experts 

need some more help guys.

I found the time & tried to setup my hh5 to run on my plusnet fibre connection. although I could see the router had connected & displayed the up down/speeds it would not allow internet access. while attempting to save changes(LUCI) the router froze & when rebooted would not fully boot. the system upgrade file used (openwrt-lantiq-xrx200-BTHOMEHUBV5A-ubifs-sysupgrade.tar) did not have any reset button enabled, so now I seek advice. I have reconnected the serial interface & while booting can get the hit any key to stop autoboot, to give the BTHOMEHUBV5A # prompt.

please advise best way to proceed & firmware to use.

thanks in advance.

tevo5.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Try this:

tftp boot the initramfs  install image.

Mount the USB drive containing your openwrt or LEDE   .tar  file.  

Copy the .tar to /tmp folder.

Then run sysupgrade to install the .tar file again.

fyi, use a LEDE 'squashfs' image from LEDE snapshot, or a precompiled ones provided by jimbof on ebilan forum if you want fully functioning 'Reset' capability.

http://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=145

http://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=138

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
tevo5
Dabbler

@bill888

thanks for reply,

from links you provided,found these images: (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-_YzKUQ1hkzVEJHaVhMc0Y5TXM)

lede-lantiq-xrx200-BTHOMEHUBV5A-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin      5mb

lede-lantiq-xrx200-BTHOMEHUBV5A-ubifs-sysupgrade.bin              9mb

do i have to convert to .tar ?

determined to get this thing working, although after reading various forum posts it seems the hh5a is never going to be the greatest.

thanks again

tevo5.

bill888
Champion

My apologies.  Just use the LEDE .bin files.  No need to convert anything to .tar before running sysupgrade.

bill888
Champion

Anyone know if OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub 1 has the ability to enable/disable bridge mode and/or enable/disable NAT?

In theory it should be possible a create a dumb bridge modem configuration, but I haven't come across any posts on openwrt or ebilan forum describing how to do it.

I will speculate it may be possible to extrapolate from configuration files used in the openwrt image for the ECI modem found on the kitz forum.  It appears to use the same Lantiq SoC as the HH5A.

tevo5
Dabbler

@bill888

many thanks, now running with LEDE.

now need to setup for use on plusnet fibre without making another balls up.

can't see where to enter user password etc.

out of interest will the same method work to revert to original (backed up) bt firmware ?

thanks again for your expert advice.

tevo5.

bill888
Champion

have you downloaded the 'LEDE for HH5A - Typical Configurations Guide' pdf ?

http://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=145

see section 9.1 - Quick PPPoE setup using DSL port for VDSL Connection

There is no documented procedure for restoring the NAND backup file of the original stock firmware to a HH5A when tftp booting the openwrt initramfs installation image.   

tevo5
Dabbler

@bill888

Now connected & all seems fine. will now read the lede pdf fully & work out port forwarding etc.

somewhere i read of someone who compiled firmware which included a script to revert to original firmware, i will search it out & try with the hub i binned.

thanks for your valid help.

If we ever meet the beers are on me.

tevo5.

bill888
Champion

Anyone know if OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub 1 has the ability to enable/disable bridge mode and/or enable/disable NAT?

Further to an earlier reply, I obtained this response from one of the developers who supports LEDE for the HH5a:

"From a technical point of view it should be possible. But it requires
changes which nobody has done/tested yet. The hardware switch need to be
configured to acts as hub. The nas0/ptm0 interface needs to be added to
the br-lan interface. the br-lan interface need to act as hub."

bill888
Champion

If anyone wishes to test 'bridge mode' in LEDE, please see this new thread:

http://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=163&p=1321#p1321

alag20
Grafter

Hi Guys,

Please forgive me for being naïve and new to this. I only started reading all this because I needed a new cheap router modem with decent stats. I used to be with BT Infinity in the past and got several HH5 in my attic which have never seen the light of the day. So I was thinking to reuse them as being tight with my studies at the moment.

Anyhow, I was wondering if the cables can be secured onto the HH5 with the help of cables and tape rather than solder? I don't mind the soldering part but unfortunately I don't have one and to buy one just for this purpose is kinda defeating the purpose of having a cheap router modem. Also I know billi posted a windows pdf but is there a link to the most updated one? What is the latest wrt or other image to use?

Ps : Can someone also recommend which USB-TTL would be best suited. I found 2 cheap ones on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D6-PL2303HX-USB-To-RS232-TTL-Auto-Converter-Adapter-Module-For-Arduino-W-C...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-TTL-UART-CH340-Serial-Converter-Module-3-3-5V-with-DTR-pin-lead-UK-...

I am currently on Sky ADSL2 (not fibre).

Thanks in advance.

jimbof
Grafter

The only solder-less option would be something like a flying probe test station, which would cost thousands, so soldering really is the only option.  You'll never get a reliable contact by any other means.

The soldering you'll be doing is really quite fine - this probably isn't the kind of project I would use to learn to solder...

alag20
Grafter

Thanks for your message. I am not new to solder and I can do it with accuracy as I have worked on them as hobby in the past - however I lack the equipment and hence adverse to the cost.

Could I not use cable stuck to the point with black tape and pressed down with additional weight as | shouldn't need to remove these cable till the work is completed? I was looking at the pictures and it seems that the points are fairly exposed. Otherwise - are there better locations where this could enable?

core2lee
Grafter

Hi mate, 

Although you technically 'could' do what you're trying to do by sticking the wires down with tape, like others have said you 'really' need a reliable serial connection. On top of that the solder points really are super small and there are other components surrounding the pads, there isn't really anywhere else so solder them. Seriously, get a soldering iron mine is nothing more than one of the £10 ones from Maplins; 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-25W-Fine-Tip-Soldering-Iron-for-Electronics-Mains-Electric-/3802179...

As for the 'latest' build, I'm not sure to be honest I lost track. but I've currently got the 'MikeCSmith' build running on 3 HomeHub 5a's right now in my house and they are configured like this; 

HomeHub a) Main Router/Modem which connects to my PN VDSL line 

HomeHub b) Uses the 802.11 AC radio as a relay client bridge to the main AP, then uses the Ethernet switch to connect my CCTV server. The 802.11n radio is used in a Access Point WDS config so works as a wireless extender 

Home Hub c) Same as above, but down stairs again working as a wireless extender (WDS). 

You can find the 'MikeCSmith' build I'm running here; 

https://www.leehobson.xyz/index.php/s/BsHCtMTprdLlfMn

Once you're up and running, get it on the internet and upgrade all packages; 

opkg list-upgradable | awk -F ' - ' '{print $1}' | xargs opkg upgrade

I've had these with 60+ days uptime with zero issues. 

As for the Serial <-> TTL interface, this one or any similar is fine; 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CP2102-USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-Module-6Pin-Serial-Convertor-STC-Replace-FT232-...

alag20
Grafter

I am just pondering this vs getting a different router as being a student I am running on really low budget.

What would people recommend? I am more sceptical after reading issues with performance wifi with OpenWRT compared to stock.