cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

avatastic
Grafter

Re: Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

Is this device supported by sysupgrade or will one have to manually back up config files, flash a clean image and re-install packages / configs?
I'm stuck with the latter on a RouterBoard RB750 series but if I could get updates and relegate the RB + HG612 to backup use for a point + click upgrade path I may see if I can get me a cheap HH5a from a popular auction website...
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Smeaghoul
Dabbler

Did you have any problems with the configuration afterwards, I managed to crossflash my TP-link TD-W8970 with TD-W9980 firmware and now have a functional vdsl modem syncing at 80d/20u (home hub at 78d/19u) however I'm having problems with the PPP connection, the only difference I can find is that on the TP-Link the ACS field is blank (CWMP settings) would I be right in thinking that it's an auto-configuration server to connect to PN and needs setting up?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You can configure it yourself.  It doesn't have to be autoconfigured by ACS.
Just put your username@plusdsl.net and password in the relevant boxes.
Edit: where username is your own broadband account name of course.
You may need to click on a "Connect" button if there is one.
devera

It is possible to do this without soldering? As in just tape a wire in place?

Lines566
Hooked

Thanks for the howto, really helped

now the hh5a is booting openwrt can i desolder the wires or are they needed for flashing/updating or can we do that though the gui or telnet???

thanks again

core2lee
Grafter

Hi everyone, 

Since the community site migrated to Lithium I have been unable to reset my password, no idea what email address I used when I signed up and only ever used the site for this one post anyway... 

So yeah, glad to see people have been able to do this successfully! I have also added a couple of quick n dirty shell scripts for controlling the LED lighting (tuning off at night, back on in day via cron.etc), i've added them to the link above with the firmware files.etc https://leehobson.xyz/index.php/s/BsHCtMTprdLlfMn

To answer a couple of questions, this does involved soldering 3 surface mount soldered wires unfortunately, although this is relatively easy with a £10 find tip soldering iron, and quick tutorial on Youtube if you have never soldered before. Once OpenWRT has been flashed, you can then de-solder the wires and you are free to p*ss about with the firmware as you please. 

And finally flashing this will completely replace the original firmware, however as part of this you can create a backup of the original calibration files and firmware should you ever wish to restore to the original PN/HH5 firmware. 

Lines566
Hooked

Hi core2lee, I'm wondering how you reset openwrt back to default, tried the reset on the back and top, couldn't ssh into hh5a when in failsafe (think that's to do with flashing ubifs-image instead of SquashFS-Image)

Any help with this would be great, I'm scared of locking myself out and unable to reset

Thanks
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I was reading this thread with interest yesterday.

Is the downloads page link  https://leehobson.xyz/index.php/s/BsHCtMTprdLlfMn  working for anyone else this morning?  (It was fine yesterday)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MikeCSmith
Hooked

Link seems to be working for me.

I'm just going through the process now and I'm loading the openwrt-lantiq-xrx200-BTHOMEHUBV5A-install-uImage-initramfs file currently. It seems to be stuck at 

[  355.900000] br-lan: port 1(eth0.1) entered forwarding state

Haven't had any movement now for about 5 minutes. Anyone else encounter this as a problem?

Thanks,

Mike

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Link still not working for me.  Web browser returning 'This site can't be reached'.

I was apparently moved onto Plusnet's new Network early this morning and I think this may be a factor.  Thanks for checking for me.  It looks like it may be a routing problem.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MikeCSmith
Hooked

It's now down for me too.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The domain points to a Plusnet-provisioned broadband line and the line isn't connected at the moment. That would explain why you can't get to it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MikeCSmith
Hooked

Ahhh - that makes sense. I'm rather hoping it comes online soon - I'm hoping I can grab a copy of that firmware!

Trying to compile it myself currently.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Download site is working for me now.

Hopefully this will send update emails to those above Cool

core2lee
Grafter

Sorry people Smiley Yes Bob this is indeed a Plusnet provisioned line, but is a very stable one at that 😛 

I've recently been switching my network around a little at home, the https://leehobson.xyz domain is actually pointing to an Owncloud site I host off my Raspberry Pi which is up all the time. 

What i've got set up now is a pseudo client bridge with 2x Hub One's. So there is the primary router which is sat where my line comes in, then the second router works as a wireless ethernet-bridge to the primary one and is in another room handling my server, and a few other bits an bobs. 

Long story short.. there should be no further issues with the link for anyone wanting the firmware.etc