cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router + reverse proxy (a question for webmasters and server experts)

mrspock
Dabbler

Router + reverse proxy (a question for webmasters and server experts)

I'm having my personal site hosted home, on a RPi 4 server and it's working great. The plusnet router forwards the thhp/s ports to the local RPi. Now, I'd like to host another RPi server with another domain on it, and from my knowledge it can either be done through a reverse proxy server, because the plusnet router forwards ALL http/s requests to a single lan address (ie my current RPi 4).

The question is (because I don't want to have a chain of RPis connected as a reverse proxy + 2 servers), is there a router that has a reverse proxy server in it? Therefore a router that will 'know' to redirect to the proper local server when a certain domain will be typed in the browser's address bar.

Ideally my home network will be made of the ROUTER   >  RPi SERVER, where on the server will be 2 different working domains, both public and accessible on http/s without having to type extra port numbers (such as domain1.com:1234, domain2.com:1235), but I don't know if such router even exists. Google is either becoming dumber or more advanced to display proper results to my Qs.

2 REPLIES 2
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Router + reverse proxy (a question for webmasters and server experts)

Why use multiple RPis? - Why not just use Apache's built in virtual hosting instead? - That lets you setup multiple hosts / sites with just one instance of apache running to serve them all.

Unless you have a real need for your sites to be on different physical hardware, i'd go with the VH option.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
mrspock
Dabbler

Re: Router + reverse proxy (a question for webmasters and server experts)

Because RPis are not strong enough to host multiple Wordpress sites, and I'd rather use more RPis (one per site) than a bigger and more performant server.