Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problem

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Router problem

This is a similar problem to another on this board, but a little different.

My regular router is a Netgear, that is working well if a little elderly, but is .n protocol.

To take advantage of a faster connection I have purchased an .ac protocol TP-Link, this was intended to be used with a USB .ac adaptor on the laptop, which I know is working.

Problem is, the TP-Link will not connect to the internet (its connection light stubbornly remain off). In all other respects it works fine, connecting and working with my home network devices etc. But of course I can't get online with it.

Since all the connections are the same between both of the routers, I have to ask the question - am I missing something in setting up? -. The only thing I can find out of the ordinary is that the TP-Link telephone connector socket is a very tight fit, and the cable plug doesn't "click" home nicely, but seems to be in the socket sufficiently to make a connection, although a little proud of being fully inserted. And yes, I am trying it the right way up.

And of course, Windows reports "No Internet" in settings.

Any ideas please.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Router problem

What is the model number of the router?

It sounds like you may have a cable router that needs a modem!

petlew
Pro

Its a TP-Link AC 1200 (model number Archer D50) described on the box as: Wireless Dual Broadband ADSL2+Modem Router. Also flash labeled as for Phoneline connections

Which, apart from the .ac protocol, is the same essentially as the existing Netrgear. 

And just to confirm it as I just looked (I had an awful sinking feeling) it is the same as printed on the rating plate on the bottom of the router.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

PS. that's much the same as printed on the base of the Netgear router.

I have to say, my suspicions lean towards the telephone socket on the TP-Link, but try as I might I can't push the plug in any further.

petlew
Pro

Rooting through the box for the TP-Link finds a supplied telephone lead. This lead fits the TP-Link perfectly with a solid click home. But still fails to connect with the internet.

Using the same TP-Link supplied lead into the Netgear socket, finds that the Netgeat router connects with the internet as usual without any problem at all.

So I have to say, that I think I have a genuinely faulty new router. Unless as I asked in my original OP, is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Assuming you are on ADSL, and not FTTC, then there should not be too many options to choose from, but will obviously need username and password. But without seeing your settings it a bit hard to suggest anything else.

petlew
Pro

Thank you Mustrum, yes, I am on ADSL.

Its a long time since I installed a new router, just to satisfy my desire to figure out what's wrong: faulty router, or a settings issue. When the the router is connected to power and telephone line, after a short delay, the internet should light up to show a connection, before any action is required at the PC, such as username and password... shouldn't it?

As this is what is not happening.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

The internet light will not come on until you have set the router up. 

More details in the manual.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

There are two separate LEDs for 'ADSL' and 'Internet'.

When you connect the line, does the ADSL LED blink and then stay on when sync is established, or not come on at all?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
petlew
Pro

@198kHz. The ADSL light comes on and stays on after blinking.

The internet light doesn't comes on at all.

In the setup instructions, are told to go to the TP-link website, how can you do that if there is no internet connection?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

The instructions do not say to go to the TP Link site, but say to log into the router:

Manually Set Up an Internet Connection

1  Visit http://tplinkmodem.net, and log in with the password you set for the modem router.

2  Go to Basic > Internet page. Select your ISP, and related information will be automatically filled in. For some ISPs, you may need to manually specify some information provided. If you can’t find your ISP in the ISP List, select Other and then enter the information provided by your ISP.
3  Click Save to make the settings effective, and you can refer to Test Internet Connectivity to test the internet connection.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Are you enterind the ADSL settings defined in here?  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@petlew wrote:

@198kHz. The ADSL light comes on and stays on after blinking.

@petlew  ...indicating that sync with the exchange is established - therefore the cable is OK despite the tight fit.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@petlew.. Page 13 of the manual. Follow the guide for manual setup. Connection details here
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Also change the default password for accessing the router, page 11
steveocee
Rising Star

It sounds like your syncing ok. It could just be you need to set up your PPPoA details correctly now. I take it the service still works with the old router?

As already pointed out, ensure to set up a decent admin password although I don't think the TP-Links allow remote admin out of the box.

www.steveocee.co.uk