Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rj45 and BT Socket as a Combined unit..

OshB5
Grafter

Rj45 and BT Socket as a Combined unit..

Hi
Has anyone tried one of these from Maplin?  network-and-telecoms-master  Code: ZQ43W If you look at it its a Cat5,5e,6 RJ45 Plug Socket and a BT Plug Socket. All built into one box.at £9.99
I was thinking about getting one to put in place of my BT master socket. It is a old socket and has been in and untouched for about 12 years. There is only a couple of inches of the two wire BT "phone in" cable And I also want to get a RJ45 socket in the same area to get the ethernet upstairs into the main ethernet wiring that I have setup upstairs as its al cabled up as used to have the modem router up there  instead of dome stairs.
I dont know but if anyone can suggest a way to get the phone line upstairs (other than get BT to do it?) Because it would make things a lot easier LOL.
Regs Osh
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Rj45 and BT Socket as a Combined unit..

No I haven't used one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/network-and-telecoms-master-zq43w
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

It is easy to fit an extension lead yourself, all you need is the bits and pieces..... so... here , on ebay, is the works !..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25m-White-3-Pair-Internal-Telephone-Cable-Extension-KIT-/260426398322?pt=U...
I can recommend this seller.  ( his stuff is first class, and he sends it First Class too!..)..
The linky above may be an old item number, so you might have to use "refresh page" several times,
be aware, BT will not be very pleased if you remove their master socket, and then you report a fault on the line, because you have not put it back properly... and will charge you...
However, inside the master socket you will find a 6 point connection and all you need is to use numbers 2 and 5 to put the blue/white  and white/blue pair on.....remembering which goes to which, and repeat for your upstairs socket....
DO NOT USE the flat "extension cables" as t his will cause problems on your line... only use the hard copper twisted pair .
NOTE... the above linky shows 3 twisted pairs... you really only need one twisted pair, but suspect that you will have to buy a two ( four core) pair..... check out his store before deciding what you really want.........
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

As Shutter says - you musnt touch the BT master socket beyond taking off the front cover, o you may be charged for any damage that you might do.
Given the length you have had it and the importance of having it done correctly it may be worth investing in getting BT Openreach fit a new master socket for you.
You could ask PN how much that would cost - I forget now.
Then you can confidently add extension wiring and sockets correctly.
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have added several "extensions" to my master socket in a long run, with "tap" ( Phone socket)  points along the way, using the 4 core twisted pair, I mentioned... it really is a simple job. only two wires to connect at each end... the hardest part is trying to hide the wire from the missus !... If you have to cross a "walkway" or doorway, it is best to go up the wall and over (the door) rather than under the carpet, where, treading on the wire could cause it to chafe and then short circuit...
The length of the extension should not adversly affect the performance of your line.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi Thanks for the comments it was not fitting the extensions as iv done more than I care to remember having to fit them to alarm systems to dial ARCs or in theodd time anddependant of who it was direct to the cops but thats not been allowed for quite a few years now a good thing rearly with the two strike system they are running nowdays LOL.
The reason I asked was just for the neatness of it all..
But I might try Plusnet and ask how much it would cost for a new socket and faceplate to be fitted. Thanks
Osh
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter

The length of the extension should not adversly affect the performance of your line.

As long as you use good twisted pair telephone cable - preferably CW1308 and only use the two wires - not the signalling line which is not needed for modern DTMF tone signalling, that can introduce interference.