cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring doorbell 3 not linking to WiFi

catrinevans11

Ring doorbell 3 not linking to WiFi

Just purchased a ring doorbell 3 which will not connect to the WiFi. I spent 2 hours on the phone to the ring support yesterday; they tried everything they could and suggested I rang plusnet again, who I’d spoken to first and who’d tried to split the WiFi. The device definitely works, it will
connect up my personal hot spot on an iPhone. Ring support looked at the plus net hub router and said they weren’t able to manually add a device, which they can normally do with other routers. Plusnet suggest trying a BT smart hub, orca WiFi extender, both of which will
cost me money. Any ideas or do I just leave plusnet and try a different provider?Huh
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Ring doorbell 3 not linking to WiFi

@catrinevans11  Welcome to the forum. 
I’m a bit sceptical about the claim that a Smarthub will work but a Hub One won’t. Under the tweeked firmware and garish case you will find a BT Home Hub 5a. 
The Smarthub is a better device, having much better WiFi, which could be your problem. It can be used on Plusnet, many of us do, and can be bought for about £20 on an auction site, which is much less than the cancellation charges for moving on.

For setting instructions follow the links in this post https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Species5618

Been there spent hours messing around with options, but I DID FIND A SOLUTION

set a static IP in the advanced setup of the ring device

IP 192.168.1.200 (fell free to change last bit a little, )
Mask 255.255.255.0
router 192.168.1.254
DNS 8.8.8.8 (this is google DNS not the hub)

the door bell connected  in seconds !!

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I had trouble setting up my Ring Doorbell Pro a couple of years ago, and that was with a different router.  I ended up with Rings advanced support team and I ended up doing a factory reset on the doorbell about 3 times if I remember correctly before it would connect.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Whereas my Ring Doorbell 3 Plus connected straight away and has been solid.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

It might have been worth saying that Ring have recently replace my doorbell as the quality went very poor on it.  The replacement connected straight away.

I've also had to factory reset my parents Doorbell 2, which meant connecting it to a Hub Zero, which also connected straight away aswell.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.