cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse ptr record

JoeJohnJames
Hooked

Re: Reverse ptr record

Presumably one approach to this is to use only one of these domains for the mail server for all of them, such as mail.ecalpemos.co.uk, and then set the MX records for each of the domains to point at this mail server. You can then have the rDNS for your public IP address to point to that mail server's domain and it should all work fine.

Alternatively you could get a new domain that you only use for your mail server such as mydomain.com and point the MX record for all of them at mail.mydomain.com, with the rDNS for your public IP address pointing at mydomain.com.

Obviously there are some shortcomings of hosting your own resources from a domestic-style internet connection where you only have one static IP address, but this should be a way around running mail servers for multiple domains when that is the case.

I assume that this approach would also work if you had multiple public IP addresses as they could all be set for rDNS for the IP to point to this single domain.

mbcookma

flip! no wonder these forms are so aged: I just spent time clicking pictures of traffic lights and boats to get this logged in!

Thanks for the post mentioning PTR , really got me started.

For other dedicated trawlers I found this a helpful site: https://support.dnsmadeeasy.com/support/solutions/articles/47001001439-pointer-ptr-record

Sulphurik

Hi,

Sorry to necro this thread, I'm trying to setup an email server and I believe outgoing messages from the server are being blocked because my PTR isn't correct. Are you able to assist?

Teece
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

It's unlikely that this is the main cause of messages being blocked. How are you routing your messages? Most major e-mail hosts (Google etc) will block private servers - you should be using the Plusnet smarthost to send your outgoing mail.

Sulphurik

It turns out that the cause was missing DMARC and incorrectly formatted SPF records. After fixing those records test emails have arrived at Gmail, Yahoo and Outlook.

Although relaying is a perfectly suitable solution it does add some latency to the delivery process so I'm glad it's working now, I didn't actually know about the relay servers tbh.