cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended third party modem for fibre

amoe

Recommended third party modem for fibre

Hi, I got Plusnet FTTC installed at a new address, it's working fine with the Hub One.

I have an old router that I want to use for various reasons.  It's a plain TP-Link router (no integrated modem).

I want to buy a modem that works with the Openreach network so that I can continue to use my existing router.

I see that the standard is "VDSL2".  What modems work with VDSL2?  Does a plain VDSL (not VDSL2) modem also work with Plusnet fibre?

If I search for "vdsl2 modem", the ones that pop up are very expensive (£60+).  What would be a good purchase?  I'm looking for something in the <£30 bracket -- it's only a modem, after all.

Thanks.

Dave

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Recommended third party modem for fibre

@amoe 

A model 3B Huawei HG612 as supplied by Openreach from an auction site will be your cheapest modem. You can also unlock these if you want to see your DSL Stats. Some TP link modem/routers also work in bridge modem mode.

The zero cost option is to configure your TP Link router is Access Point mode and connect it to a LAN port on your Hub One. If you go into the advance wireless settings on the Hub One you can turn the wireless off. The TP Link router will work in this mode in exactly the same way as if you had bought a modem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

As @Baldrick1 says, use the hub one. Ignore the bit about "access mode" as that is for a modem-router combination like the hub one. If people stopped using "router" for a combined "modem-router" unit, there would be a lot less confusion!

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Baldrick1

@PeeGee 

I beg to differ. As far as I am aware routers are designed to work with a bridge modem, else they would be Access Points, or even Wireless Access Points.

Moderator and Customer

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@PeeGee The access mode is important because if the device was left in it's default configuration there would be 2 DHCP servers running with double NAT issues for example.

@Baldrick1 why can't a router just be a router? Or would it then be called a switch lol

Baldrick1

@Browni 

I was just waiting for this response. I have little doubt that someone will pop up with actual devices that are out there. However unless I am mistaken they are not the norm as sold to the home user.

Moderator and Customer

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

A router is a router, it routes traffic around based on rules. It is not a modem and it is not a switch.

Home users buying a router might be surprised it doesn’t connect the outside world on it’s own.

Baldrick1

This is all getting a bit heavy. Yes a modem is the interface between the multi frequency broadband data coming into the home, converting it back into digital data, and a router distributes said digital data to multiple attached devices. But I'm sure we can argue where other bells and whistles that need to be configured to get a working connection are located, in the modem or router.

Unless @amoe has given up after being totally confused with all these posts the bottom line, ignoring the technical whys and wherefores, is that if the decision is to go for the zero cost option and use the Hub One instead of a bridge modem then a bog standard TP Link router needs to  be set up in Access Point mode.

Moderator and Customer

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Champnet wrote:

Home users buying a router might be surprised it doesn’t connect the outside world on it’s own.

As seen often in this forum.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, list of modem options:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/What-is-a-suitable-VDSL-modem-for-ASUS-RT-AC86U/m-p/1737761#... 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-