Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapport - Trusteer

FIXED
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Rapport - Trusteer

Invading security is the only thing I can think of Rapport actually doing to be honest because it seems to do naff all else other than cause trouble.

Seems to like monitoring key strokes from what I could work out years ago... not really the best of things when you're logging into a bank!

For a smarter way of dodging problems, create a virtual computer which you use ONLY for banking and nothing else. Keep AV up to date on it and ONLY visit banking websites - nothing else, not even google. When you're done using it, shut it down / suspend it and be done with it. That way you can be relatively sure that you're safe.

In that VM you could also set the dns servers to a non existent IP on your network... while putting the up addresses for your bank's site in the hosts file. That would also reduce the risk of any nasties making contact to the outside world (they could still do it directly by IP though).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@7up wrote:
... (they could still do it directly by IP though).

That's assuming that the bank's site isn't a virtual host and has the IP all to itself.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why put anti-virus in a VM if you only go to the bank?

Unless... Your Bank can't be trusted over a https connection?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

@7up wrote:
... (they could still do it directly by IP though).

That's assuming that the bank's site isn't a virtual host and has the IP all to itself.

It wasn't the bank I was talking about but the attacker who could still have their rogue software connect to an IP address they have.

7up
Community Veteran

@VileReynard wrote:

Why put anti-virus in a VM if you only go to the bank?

Unless... Your Bank can't be trusted over a https connection?

Precautionary... silly man.

VileReynard
Hero

Foolish to load a piece of software from a 3rd party (the anti-virus) if it can't be trusted absolutely.

In general, more software doesn't give more security.

krusty
Rising Star

As others have said, Rapport is a piece of garbage software. I'm not going to into how some banks promoted this. If you have good AV you do not need to use this, as its doing the same thing as the av!.

With any AV, the only thing i'd say is turn off any "cloud based services" .

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

nah you dont need any AV and it will still be safer for you than running that spyware app... heck even the built in windows defender will be better than letting that nasty junk near your hardware....

it used to be highlighted by the likes of Norton/MacAfee/Avast etc as a trojan hijacker 

and I doubt they have fixed the memory leak it triggers every time you touch an encrypted page (havent caught it on one of my systems in a very long time, although I understand its part of one of the mobile app's.... just another reason not to trust mobile apps IMHO) 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I have doubts that uninstalling it in the usual way via Control Panel is complete. I've nothing particular in mind, just gut feeling, that arose from using VSRevo Pro to do the job.

I do not think I have ever seen, so many files etc to deal with.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I can`t remember what I used to uninstall it..... May have been their "uninstall"  exe... or quite probably using a free prog called  "Absolute Uninstaller"...

after uninstalling any prog, I always use CCleaner to clean the bits left, and then run CCleaner REG CLEAN part...  and after that I sometimes use Eusing REG CLEANER... this tends to find more stuff than the CCleaner one... 

Luzern
Hero

@shutter though many are against such cleaners, as they claim they do more harm than good. It did seem to me on an occasion that my system had probs after using Ccleaner.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
shutter
Community Veteran

@Luzern  I have been using CCleaner for many years...  can`t remember how long now..... never had any problem with it regarding performance etc of all the computers I have had !..

A friend of mine, who I chat to using Morse over the Internet... seems to have many many problems with the program we use.... and is forever uninstalling it, and re-installing it, to get it working again... however... No such problems for me... so I put it down to " the user " .! .. when problems happen.

Luzern
Hero

@shutter Another claim is that the registry is but a small part of the disk, so the space yielded is of minimal significance, making the worth of paid versions very doubtful. As to whether they are damaging I was only reporting what I heard. It's good your experience has been happy.

VileReynard
Hero

I'm betting that Microsoft feel sick that they've stuck with the registry thing for so many years.

Now its grown to be such a monster that they can't replace it with a sensible scheme.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  I`m betting that more people are sick of you window bashing .... instead of posting something useful to the threads.